Ch 47: Reunion

Interlude 1
Dream A Little Dream

It's a forest, one covered in a light sheet of fluffy white snow as more gently sprinkled down on it. How did I get here? I don't know, and I don't care. The sight was one of a wonderland, gorgeous and surreal.

Snow...It's been so long since I've seen it. That damn nuclear winter made the experience hell back home. But here, it's so beautiful.

Before, even when I had first arrived on Remnant, I looked at everything with a childlike fascination.

And now, I look at the view with a special appreciation, glad that I'm alive to witness its beauty.

I wish you were here to see this with me...

"There you are!" A cheery voice suddenly shouts and a weight suddenly pushes me forward.

I quickly steady myself as I acknowledge the girl hanging on my back.

"And there 'you' are." I smile back at Ruby's glowing expression.

She giggles slightly, draping her arms over my shoulders to hold on better. I shift a bit as well to adjust to her weight, not that she weighs much at all anyways, and hold onto her legs.

"What're you doing out here? Aren't you cold?" She asks me, her frosty breath tickling my ear.

I look down at my all black attire. "Not really, what about you?" I ask, glancing back at her.

She makes herself comfy on my back and sits up, puffing her chest out with pride. "The lab coat you gave me is actually really warm, so I'm perfectly fine." She declares, then suddenly leans forward again to wrap her arms around me. "And you being here helps too." She says softly, snuggling as close to me as she can.

I give myself a small smile and enjoy her warmth on my back. I hear her let out a small, content sigh as she rests her chin on my shoulder.

"So what are you doing out here again?" A different voice asks.

I turn to my right and find Yang. "Just getting an eyeful of the view here," I answer seamlessly, noticing the weight lift from my back completely.

Yang makes her way beside me and nudges my arm, making me look down at her mischievous smirk.

"Well, 'eye' know something 'view' can look at." She says suggestively, puffing her chest out.

I roll my eyes with an amused smile. "Quit it with the 'cornea' pickup lines." I fire back.

(The 'cornea' is like a transparent lid that protects the iris and pupil. And here, 'cornea' replaces the word 'corny' -Cool Potato facts)

She barks out a laugh and smacks my shoulder, giving the mood a chance to simmer down. In silence, she puts her arm around my waist and I gently caress her hair that she treasures so much.

"C'mon." She says after a while of enjoying my touch. "Let's head back already, I miss our bed." She lets go of me and takes a step away.

I take a breath and watch it dissipate in the cold air. "And what do you plan on doing once we get there?" I ask in an attempt to give her some of her own flirty medicine.

She grins back, her cheeks growing red. "Whatever we can to warm each other up~" She purrs, leaving her answer vague.

I turn and head toward a path that goes deeper into the forest. "Cuddles it is then." I shrug. "You can't fool me Yang, I know how much you love hugs." I tease.

Instead of a verbal reply I'm hit in the back by a snowball. Before I can turn around to face her, Yang sprints past me with a merry laugh.

"I'm gonna put snow in your eye!" I shout with a growing grin, starting to chase after her.