Ch 3) Remain At Arm's Length

With me leading the way, our trio finds the way to the amphitheater. pretty quickly.

"Ah, here we are. Told you I knew where I was going." I say with a triumphant grin as we walk in.

"You never said that," Jaune informs me.

I lose my grin at the revelation as I go back in my head.

"Totally thought I did," I mumble.

Pulling me from my thoughts is Yang's voice.

"Ruby! Neir! Over here! I saved you a spot!" She calls out to us.

"I guess this is where we part ways, Regurgitation Man." I say with a sigh.

"For the last time, my name is Jaune."

"We gotta go, we'll see you after the assembly!" Ruby says her farewells and grabs my arm, excited to reunite with her sister.

I don't share the same sentiment.

"What? When did I say I'd-"

And I'm instantly pulled away by Ruby, much like our first meeting, except no robbery this time around, just hundreds of students to wade through.

"Aw man, now where am I supposed to find a pair of nice, quirky people to talk to." I hear Jaune say as I'm dragged away.

Wait a minute, isn't that girl behind him-

"How's your first day going you two?" Yang asks.

Ruby crosses her arms with an angered pout. "You mean since you ditched me and I exploded?"

"Hey, I left you with Neir." She gestures to me.

"So I'm her babysitter now I see." I cross my arms to match my posture with Ruby.

After a brief laugh she says, "By the way, did you had a meltdown already? I thought having Neir around would have prevented that."

"No, I literally exploded and made a hole outside of the school. There was a fire, a-and I think some ice? Neir, help me out here." She turns to me with a pleading look.

Yang turns to me as well.

"I had nothing to do with her little fireworks show," I say as I back off a bit, not giving anything away.

Yang doesn't seem to know what to make of my answer and leans toward her sister with a conspiratorial smile. "Are you being sarcastic with me?" She asks teasingly.

"Ugh, I wish. I tripped over some crabby girl's luggage, and then she yelled at me!" Ruby begins her rapid explanation while I yawn, "And then I sneezed, and then I exploded, and then she yelled again, and I felt really, really bad, and I just wanted for her to stop yelling at me."

Yang takes a step back during Ruby's story and looks over her shoulder, making me do the same as I say, "Oh hi hei-"

"You!" The heiress in question suddenly yells at Ruby, rudely cutting off my greeting.

With me being the closer person, Ruby jumps into my arms screaming, "It's happening again!"

"Wow, you're surprisingly light," I remark as I glance at Yang, "Are you feeding her right?"

Yang chuckles at my question as the white haired girl shouts at Ruby.

"You're lucky we didn't get blown off the side of the cliff!" 

"Oh my god, you really exploded," Yang says in disbelief.

"It was a nice fireworks show," I tell her, then I look down at Ruby still clinging to my neck. "You gonna get off anytime soon?"