Chapter 33: Ramblin' Wreck From Georgia Tech

Y/N POV

"Baby wake up..." I hear softly in my ear before I feel the peppering of kisses land all over my face. When my eyes flutter open, it takes a second for me to find enough clarity to remember where I am.

Oh yea. The Steinfeld home.

"There's my girl." Hailee says with a smile when my eyes finally meet hers as I sit up. "How long was I out?" I ask, my voice still rough from sleep. Hailee giggles adorably. "I don't know actually. I got up to help mom in the kitchen and when I came back you were asleep. I figured you could use the nap so I left you alone. But come on, dinner is almost ready and we have to set the table." She explains, kissing me once more before standing.

I rub my eyes and shake the sleep out of my head. One minute I'm watching some movie on tv and the next I'm passed out. At least it's safe to say I'm comfortable here now.

I stand and follow Hailee through the house to the kitchen where she's already waiting to pass me plates to take to the table. "There you are sweetie! Have a nice nap?" Cheri asks with a smile. I nod my head and smile back while taking the plates from Hailee.

"I think I'm still trying to catch up on rest from the whirlwind I've been in the last few weeks. The second I get warm and comfy, I'm out like a light." I laugh.

"Well I'm glad that you feel at home. Go right ahead and nap whenever you'd like." Cheri says kindly.

A few minutes later, we're all sat around the dinner table stuffing our faces and making easy conversation.

"Are you sure we don't need to do anything for tomorrow or for our stay in Atlanta?" Pete asks, his question directed towards Hailee and myself. Hailee shakes her head no as I speak.

"Nope. Everything is already taken care of. As long as you have the flight details then there's nothing to worry about. Just the simple fact that you're able to join us is enough. Fletcher is going to be so happy." I say with a smile.

Everyone at the table smiles softly. "We wouldn't miss it for the world. Fletcher is just as much of a Steinfeld as the rest of us. We couldn't be more proud of him. Graduating Georgia Tech and heading into MIT? That's one hell of an accomplishment." Pete says.

"And everyone deserves to have their mom and dad at their graduation. So if we get to fill that role this weekend, nothing would make me happier." Cheri adds.

After dinner and clean-up we decide to keep the night rolling instead of calling it early. Will we regret this decision in the morning? Maybe. But tonight we're all perfectly content to sit out by the fire with a glass of wine, just chatting and catching up.

"So who all will be joining us in Atlanta?" Cheri asks. "Other than all of us it'll just be Florence and my best friend Taylor, who's basically been like Fletch's second older sister since we were kids." I explain.

"Oh I remember meeting her! At Hailee's birthday last year. She's a lovely young lady." Cheri says excitedly. Hailee and I both laugh at the assessment of Taylor, catching the attention of Cheri who eyes is curiously.

"You might be the first person to ever describe Taylor as lovely." I say with a laugh. "Most people steer clear of her when they see how blunt she is. Don't get me wrong, she's great and she's actually really nice but the exterior is rough at times." I explain.

"And she calls Brando Demon Dog because the poor little baby peed on her on the ride home when they picked him up. I thought it was gonna be a joke but she's been keeping it up!" Hailee adds, only partially feigning offense. In any case, it makes everyone laugh.

Once we finish our glasses of wine, Hailee and I decide to head home for the night. Saying our goodbyes, we take our leave.

When we get into the car, Hailee looks at me and smiles. "Penny for your thoughts?" I ask, curious about what's gotten her so smiley all of a sudden. She just shrugs.