chapter 29

FEYRE POV

Liar. the clock hissed.

Then the metallic sting of magic filled the air, then the ground beneath me cracked and fell like leaves– save for the pedestal, revealing giant gold mechanical gears twisting and turning around.

I ran out of time..

The clock has already turned back.

As soon as I heard that first click marking that the gears were already moving, the hair on the back of my neck stood. I could have sworn the blood in my body reversed course.

The pedestal I stood on started turning too. And somehow the moon – blood red – casted a shadow upon the dais on which the clock stood, this shadow marked the numbers on the edge of the circular chamber.. But the shadow didn't move clockwise.. It moved the other way round.

I collapsed onto the ground. What was left of it...

The roaring wind rushing through the manhole above didn't cover up the sound of the gears.

But I got up. On shaky feet, and tear stained cheeks I got up.

Never again

Never again would I be weak.

Never again would I be at someone's mercy.

Never again would I fail.

Never again, never again, never again.

With the strongest armament haki I could use, I hit the lead cast over and over till nothing remained but a crumpled piece of metal.

But no springs or gears or anything flew from it.. It was like an empty cast now...

The clock somehow crawled and etched itself to the house like a leech.

But I can't destroy the house.. It wouldn't matter anyway since time is already rewinding back.

What do I do? What do I do? Whatdoido?whatdoido?whatdoido???

I got back on my knees and placed my palms flat on what was left of the ground, and willed my power to flow into the gears below. It was a gamble.

I was gambling with my own life.

But I had to do something.

I fumbled internally for my powers.

Please, I begged that power within me, slumbering and ancient and terrible.

Please. I cast for it, seeking it in the chasm inside myself.

This was my last hope.

Like called to like. Power to power.

Then swirls and swooshes of inky black darkness spread through the gears, rushing, trying to find anything to destroy. anything.

I could feel my power flickering out and dying. As if this clock somehow sensed I was its source of life and decided it wanted more than the drop I accidentally gave, found a way to drain me of my own powers and take it for itself.

Up and down blurred and warped, and i felt like i was drowning—

I tried to pull back. But my fingers were nailed to the ground. My arms had become distant, numb. I couldn't remember how to use them.

I couldn't do more than twitch my fingertips as an invisible, oppressive weight bore on me, like it'd flatten me into dust in no time. Let go, I silently bade it, gritting my teeth, willing it to obey me. Free me, you blasted thing.