46

i'll be honest, it's only 11pm and almost everyone is drunk. some people are already sleeping — those people are tobie, rhea, and cori.

everyone else is kinda doing their own thing.

yaz and joe are in the corner playing some random card game they found in one of the drawers in the bathroom.

i'm sitting behind joe, keeping track of his and yaz's points. they're tied right now.

kizzy, will, and bash are participating in a drinking contest. so far, bash is losing. by a long shot. kizzy and will are going head-to-head with eachother while bash is trying to keep up.

that leaves kit. but i don't know where he has disappeared to.

"ha!" yaz shouts, loud enough that i'm surprised she didn't wake up everyone who's sleeping. "i win!!"

joe crosses his arms and huffs out a sigh.

"urgh. you must have cheated." he mumbles, angrily. joe then turns to look at me. "lee, did you see yaz look at my cards or anything?! she must have cheated! i've never lost!"

i laugh, "sorry, joe, i didn't see anything."

"don't be a sore loser." yaz teases. "i won fair and square."

"but i always win this game!"

"not this time. kiss your winning streak goodbye." yaz stands up, cheering for her win. "do you wanna play again?"

"yes." joe agrees, without a second of hesitation. "consider this a rematch. that round must have just been beginner's luck."

yaz and joe look at me expectantly.

"no." i say, shaking my head. "no, no, and no. i don't want to be held responsible for whoever loses."

joe frowns. "fine. we'll find someone else to keep track of the score."

"who? everyone else is asleep or too drunk." yaz points out.

"we can just do it." joe says. yaz nods her head in agreement.

i try not to laugh as they begin their game. i already know how this is going to end — joe will say that he won, yaz will say the opposite. then they'll start arguing.

and i don't want to be here for it.

"you two have fun." i tell them. "i'm going to be outside for a few minutes."

neither yaz nor joe look up from their cards. they simply mumble an 'okay' and carry on with the match.

☆ ★ ☆