10

my only close friend is joe. it's been like this for years. most people who try and 'befriend' me do it for clout.

all just so they can brag to others that they're my friend.

but as i sit on the floor, playing cards with five people i've known for almost a week, i feel like these friends will stick around for a while.

"you're a fucking cheater!!" will yells, slamming the cards in his hand onto the wooden floor. "there's no way you can win three times in a row!"

"i'm unbeatable." joe says with a smug smile, "you can even ask lee."

"yeah," i agree. "i've never won a game against him."

it's true. i wish i could say that im lying. but out of all the times i've played card games with joe, i've never been able to win. i swear, he has some sort of super power.

"ugh!" will groans, stomping out of the room in annoyance as kit walk in.

will, yaz, bash, tobie, joe, and i have played three games. all while kit was in the kitchen, grabbing some snacks.

no, he wasn't taking forever to get some food. it's just that joe demolished all of us within seconds.

"what's his problem?" kit asks, a large bowl of candy in his arms.

"oh nothing. he's just pissed off that he sucks at card games." yaz says, grabbing a handful of candy from kit's bowl.

"i can hear you guys!" will shouts from the other room. "joe was cheating!"

"was not!" joe shouts back.

i giggle at their petty banter as kit sits on the floor beside me, offering me some candy. happily, i grab a piece. i mean, who can say no to free candy? especially when the candy being offered just so happens to be my favorite.

"how did you know that these are my favorite?" i ask him, unwrapping the tiny treat.

"i may or may not have asked joe." he says, guiltily. he grabs a piece of his own, the same kind i have in my hand. "it's a great choice, though. definitely one of my favorites. you have good taste."

"one of your favorites?" i ask, pretending to be offended. "they're the best!"

he laughs, a large and beautiful smile on his face. and the sound? oh, i could listen to him laugh all day long. kit's laughter echoes in my mind even after he's pulled away to talk to yaz.

i think she asked him about what movie to watch. i wasn't exactly paying attention to her, my eyes were glued to the man beside her, helping her choose a film.

"you good?" i feel a hand on my shoulder, causing me to turn around. behind me is will. i haven't talked to him very much, to be honest. but he seems to be really kind from what i've heard about him from joe.

"yeah, i'm alright." i respond, "why do you ask?"

"oh nothing. you're just intensely staring at the back of kit's head." he teases with a chuckle, "his hair is nice but not that nice, i don't think."

that's embarrassing. god, could everyone see me looking at him? fuck.

"not to mention the way you were looking at him. with so much admiration and-"

"okay!" i interrupt him, putting my hand over his mouth. "i get it!"

he removes my hand from his face, still making fun of me. then his eyes widen, "are you blushing!?"

"no!" i cover my face with my palms, even more embarrassed.

"you totally are! oh my god! eileen!" will is very clearly amused by how flustered i'm getting just from some simple teasing. then his face does something funny. like he just realized something very important.

"...what?" i ask, quietly, "why is your face doing that?"

"do you like him?" he whispers, smiling like a little girl at a sleepover.

"what!? no!" i shout making kit look over at us from the noise i'm creating.

kit and i make quick eye contact. it's short and i look away super fast, but the connection is enough to make me want to scream and kick my feet like i'm in middle school.

☆  ★  ☆