24

"fuck." i say under my breath, causing kit to look at me confused. "i completely forgot about the album coming out today. i thought i had more time."

i pull out my phone.

40 new messages from 'miss manson'

"god damn it." i mumble, "we need to go."

"what-"

"come on."

with my large pile of books in his hands, i pull kit to front of the store. across the counter, a man stands with a surprised expression.

"kit connor?" he questions, "a-and eileen stone!?"

"it's nice to meet you, but we're in a rush." kit tells the cashier as he places the books on the countertop.

"i thought celebrities were supposed to have time for their fans." the man crosses his arms over his chest is disbelief. "are you going to let him talk to me like that, eileen? surely you must have a bone in your body that's not selfish like kit."

we were lucky that cain was as nice as he was. but this guy is the complete opposite. he's the kind of fan who doesn't care about mine and kit's perspective.

"he apologizes." i say and kit gives me a look of surprise.

"i want to hear him say it. his apology means nothing when it comes from you."

through gritted teeth, kit responds. "i'm-"

"no." that's a familiar voice. all three of us turn to see who had interrupted kit. behind us in line, cain and his daughter stand with two books in their hands.

"excuse me?" the cashier says.

"kit and eileen are real people too. they're not just faces on a screen for you to fangirl over. they have lives of their own. respect that."

"i can get you kicked out of the store. this isn't your business."

"you have nothing to prove against me."

the two men continue to argue back and forth. as time passes, i get more and more anxious.

kit looks at me, placing a hand on my shoulder and giving it a quick squeeze, reminding me that he's there.

i look at him and he smiles.

"can you please just scan our books so we can leave?" i ask the man behind the register. "i'm in a huge hurry."

"fine." the cashier says with annoyance laced in his tone of voice. "i was so excited to meet you and it turns out that you're both just a couple of selfish assholes."

one by one, he grabs the books. he scans them and placed them in a bag before handing the bag to me while glaring at me.

the moment the bag is in my hand, kit and i hurry out of the bookstore.

☆  ★  ☆