43

even though i left way earlier than i had planned, i'm still the last person to show up to the hotel. 

be the time i arrive, everyone is already waiting for me in the lobby area. our friend group takes up all of the couches, leaving other people standing up around the room, glaring at us.

"there you are!" joe shouts as he stands up from the couch, making everyone's attention turn to me. "god. what took you so long?"

"i don't really know." i admit. "i left early but still got here late, some how."

"it's okay, you must just live farther away than the rest of us." kit reassures me as i sit on the couch next to him.

the moment i sit down, kizzy grabs my hands and pulls me back up.

"sorry, lee, but we don't have time to sit down." they say, unapologetically. "you two love birds need to go up there before the hotel closes. in a few minutes, we won't be able to book anymore rooms."

"okay." i say.

kit stands up from the couch and walks with me to the front desk. there's a small line we have to wait in.  there's just a couple families and a few single people waiting in front of us.

once we're standing in line, my phone buzzes. i pull it out of my back pocket and read the message.

hoe : you guys are supposed to be acting like a couple !!! hold his hand or something

i turn around and scowl at joe. he just smiles in respond. kizzy — who's standing beside him — then waves me on to do what he said.

"kit..." i groan, getting his attention.

"what is it?" kit asks. "is everything alright? are you okay?"

"yeah, i'm fine." i respond before holding my phone up to show him joe's message.

kit chuckles after reading the text. he then grabs my shoulders and pulls me into a casual hug. just a simple hug, the type that couples do when they have nothing better to do.

i know this is fake and kit doesn't like me in this way, yet i can't help but feel like this should mean something.

the feeling of his body pressed against mine. the smell of his cologne. the sound of his heart beating right next to my ear. it's overwhelming. but in the good way.

i wrap my arms around him, too. just as i do, i feel his chest shake as he chuckles.

"do you think we look like a couple yet?" he asks. "or should we kiss?"

i can't tell if he's being serious. i look up at him and he leans closer, his nose brushing against mine. then the line moves and his attention is taken away from me.

we take a few steps forward, one of his arms still around my shoulders.

"don't worry, lee." he tells me. "i wasn't going to kiss you unless you asked."

i don't respond to him. mainly because i don't know what to say to that. i can't tell if i should be relieved or not.

"thanks." i mumble, my voice barely audible.

i glance around us. as i do, i catch multiple people staring. once they realize i'm looking back at them, they quickly look away and act like they weren't just judging us.

"they don't matter." kit whispers in my ear, noticing that i'm looking at the staring people. "they're either fans or they're jealous."

"what if they take pictures?" i ask him.

personally, i don't mind if people think we're together. but it's not only my reputation that would be impacted. kit's would be too.

"you worry too much." he tells me, brushing my hair out of my face. "focus on something else."

"like what?"

"this."

kit leans closer to me, making my heart skip a few beats. he then presses his lips to my forehead.

☆  ★  ☆