39

kit

eileen has two moms.

that's not a bad thing. not at all. i was just a bit surprised. i was expecting a straight couple and an intimidating dad. when i saw two women sitting at the table, i was a little relieved.

i thought they would be less harsh. i feel bad for stereotyping them but don't worry, i got my karma. they were both extremely scary. i'm shocked that i didn't shit myself.

i can tell they care about their daughter. a lot. it's very heartwarming, actually. they both put lee's needs above their own without hesitation.

a little while after getting our food, i feel lee elbow my rib.

"ow." i mumble, looking over at her.

she leans over and whispers in my ear, "we should go to the bathroom."

the feeling of her breath against my skin and her voice barely audible in my ear send a wave chills down my spine.

"what are you two whispering about?" lee's mom asks.

she calls one of her moms 'momma'. she has coiled, dark brown hair and her eyes are the same shade. when she first saw me, she gave me a comforting smile and told me to call her diane while shaking my hand. her skin was very soft.

lee calls her other mom 'mom'.  she has dirty blonde hair and brown eyes. she didn't give me a smile at all and just told me that her name was renae.

believe it or not, diane was the more intimidating one. she was smiling and she was kind but i felt like she would end me the moment i said something wrong.

"i need to use the restroom." lee replies to renae with a smile. "and i don't want to go alone so i was asking kit to come with me." renae nods.

lee stands up before grabbing my hand and pulling me away with her.

instead of going to the bathroom, lee leads me to the exit of the restaurant.

once we're outside, she sighs before siting on the curb of the sidewalk right outside of the door. i sit beside her.

"i thought you had to use the bathroom."

"no." she says, looking up at the sky. "i just wanted to see the stars."

"the stars?"

i look up at the sky the way she is. it's dark blue, the soft glow of the stars lighting up the vastness of space. in the center is the moon. it's full and hiding behind the translucent clouds.

"i have insomnia." lee says, out of nowhere. "not many people know, but i trust you."

i look over at lee. she's still staring at the sky with so much admiration in her eyes that i can see them twinkling in her irises.

"when i was little, i didn't know what was wrong with me. my moms took me to tons of doctors but nobody diagnosed me with anything. they all said that i was a child and that many children have trouble sleeping."

i don't say anything. i just listen, looking at her just just as much admiration as she's looking at the stars with.

"so whenever i couldn't sleep, i would sneak downstairs and sit on the sidewalk right outside of our front door." she chuckles then, the way she smiles never fails to make my stomach erupt with tiny backflips. "i would just lay on the pavement and look at the stars."

"im glad you trust me enough to tell me this."

she looks at me with that beautiful smile of hers still on her face. moments later the smile is gone as she realizes she's still holding my hand.

i didn't even notice, to be honest.

she quickly lets go of it. "we, uh, we should head back to the table. or else my parents will get worried."

"right."

☆ ★ ☆