Chapter 41

Draco's P.O.V

On Monday I got up later than usual for breakfast. I burst into the Great Hall with my hair still messed up and collar button un-done.

Blaise was sitting at the table already, and gave me a look as I sat down next to him.

"Why didn't you wake me?!" I asked him, gasping for air.

"Sorry mate. I got dragged out by her," he said, pointing down the table to Pansy Parkinson who was being her usual self.

She was standing up, and by the looks of things, pulling someone out their seat.

"Come on! You've been down here for an hour and we've got bloody Potions first with Slughorn!" She shrieked.

"Great. She's got Potions too," I muttered, scowling at her.

"Yeah, come on. We'd better get going as well," he said.

We stood up and left the Great Hall, then walked to the dungeons. When everyone else arrived Slughorn welcomed us all in.

"Ah, Mr Malfoy! Looking rather scruffy today, if don't mind me saying so. Weren't perhaps hitting the Firewhisky again last night, were you?" He asked as I walked past him.

"Uh, what?" I asked, anxiously buttoning up my collar.

"Just messing with you, m'boy! Smile at least!" He beamed.

I laughed nervously as I sat down next to Blaise who was frowning.

"What was that all about?" He asked me.

"Merlin knows," I replied, straightening my tie.

Slughorn stood at the front of the class and began talking.

"Good morning all," he smiled, "now today we'll be going straight into practical work. I've assigned partners already."

He put on some glasses and picked up a piece of parchment.

"Now, firstly we have Mr Zabini- you'll be working with Miss Parkinson today," he read off.

Blaise groaned as he stood up.

"Good luck," I whispered to him sarcastically, and he plodded over to Pansy then sat down next to her.

Slughorn continued to read off the list.

"Mr Weasley with Miss Granger," he said. The pair of them were already sitting next to each other so didn't move.

"Hmm, and Mr Potter, you'll be with Mr Malfoy," he stated.

"Ha! Gay boys are working together!" Pansy hissed as Harry came and sat next to me.

"Ten points from Slytherin, Miss Parkinson, for rude and uncalled for remark," Slughorn announced.

He then continued to read off names.

"Hey, you okay?" Harry whispered to me.

"Yeah I'm fine. Why?" I whispered back.

"You look disheveled," he said.

I laughed.

"Yeah. Feel it too," I muttered.

"Now, I'd like you all to turn to page 234 in your textbooks and work on each potion listed. Get as many of them as you can done in the hour that remains, and the pair with the most brewed at the end of the lesson will be rewarded. Let the brewing commense!" Slughorn said.

"Man, we so have to win," I said, opening up the book and quickly flicking through the pages.

"Yeah, hurry though. Read out the ingredients for the first one," he said.

"Okay er, two squashed cuttlefish," I read, and he ran to get the cuttlefish.
He returned and slammed them down onto the table.

"Then what?"

"Half a goblet of unicorn blood. Pressed lacewing flies. One aged Pygmy Puff hair. And er... three owl pellets," I read as he ran back and fourth to collect the ingredients.

"Is that all? He huffed.

"Yep."

"Okay let's get to work."

We finished the potion on very first attempt, and no sooner were fetching ingredients for the next one.

"No, Harry, pressed spider eyes! Not squeezed!" I panicked, re-reading the ingredients as Harry had already started stirring the squeezed spider eyes in the cauldron.

"Oh, same difference," he insisted.

"No, look! No wonder it's turning the wrong colour," I said, pointing to the cauldron.

The swirling, amber-coloured potion turned to a dark purple.

"Let's start again," Harry sighed, and walked off to get the new ingredients.

After the incident we realised we were no longer in the lead, in fact, we were way behind.

We sped up this time round at brewing the potion, and considering we were rushing it actually turned out alright.

In the remaining half an hour we managed to brew three and a half other potions.

In total we completed five and a half potions out of a possible ten- we knew this wouldn't be enough but at least the quality of each of them turned out almost perfect.

When the time was up Professor Slughorn visited every pair, observing their potions and jotting down notes on a bit of parchment.

He nodded pretty convincingly when he came to us, and Harry and I exchanged smirks. He then walked to the front of the room.

"The results are in. I'll only be announcing first to third place. So in third place comes Mr Finnegan and Miss Patil, who managed to brew a total of four potions. Not bad," he said as the class clapped.

"Now in second place we have Mr Potter and Mr Malfoy, who completed five and a half potions." The class clapped again.

"If only we hadn't messed up the second one," Harry sighed.

I gave him an encouraging look.

"However," Slughorn continued, "even though Miss Patil and Miss Bones did in fact brew six potions out of a possible ten, the quality of them weren't nearly as satisfactory as Mr Potter and Mr Malfoy's. I must say, their final one was nowhere near the right colour. Due to this, I am pleased to declare Mr Potter and Mr Malfoy our winners for today, congratulations!"

The class clapped as Padma Patil and Susan Bones looked down. The bell rang.

"Class, please collect your books and your free to leave. Boys- please stay behind for your prize," Slughorn said as the class filed out.

We followed him to his desk where he lifted up a small vial containing a baby-blue liquid.

"This," he began, "is your prize. It is a healing potion, but you see, it's not just for healing small illnesses or even major diseases. This, boys, can bring one back to life!" He whispered.

"It is extremely powerful, and exceedingly rare indeed. Even though it can heal small illnesses, it's better to not be wasted. It can be saved for much worse things. If I were you, I'd keep this very safe. Resurrection isn't something that happens often," he said, and placed the small but powerful vial into Harry's hand.