Chapter 19

Draco's P.O.V

Just as I had guessed, when I walked into the Great Hall that morning the Slytherin table exploded with sudden laughter. I knew exactly what had happened: Pansy had told them. Just as I expected.

I sighed, ignoring them all and sat down alone. I knew I had to, but I couldn't eat. Not with everyone laughing and staring at me.

I thought it was best to keep my head down, but it was becoming harder to ignore. I looked up, the Ravenclaw table were laughing now too.

I felt myself shaking, Potter was bound to find out any minute now. I reminded myself it wouldn't actually seem so silly to him, he already admitted he was gay himself!

But all the same, I'm Draco Malfoy! I'm supposed to be... different. Um, strong? Maybe. I used to know.

I raised my head a bit and looked over towards the Gryffindor table. Thankfully, nobody was laughing. There were just a few of them curiously looking at our table to see what all the fuss was about.

I looked straight ahead at Potter, but met eyes with Ginny Weasley. I blinked. "Run," she mouthed to me.

I couldn't see why Ginny Weasley was now being all friendly to me, but did what she suggested anyway. She seemed to know exactly what happened, somehow.

I stood up at once, and ran out of the Great Hall. I was heading for the common room in the dungeons, and I felt somebody was following me. I stopped and turned around; it was Pansy.

I wanted to do something, to hex her if I could, but knew all this was happening because she was hurt.

I realised then that I should never have told her in the first place. Everything should have just stayed the way it was.

But now, there was nothing I could do. I had told her and she ruined my life.
I wanted to shout at her, but all that could come out was,
"Why?!"

She smiled grimly and replied,
"You deserve it. Now you know how hurt I feel."

I went to hex her but it rebounded. I started crying, just as she had done yesterday. I was pathetic. I un-did my top button and threw my robes off over my head as she walked away.

At that moment, Potter appeared in front of me. Great, I thought. This was just what I needed.

He looked as though he was about to say something sympathetic, and I interrupted,
"Save it, Potter. I don't even care anymore."

He spoke tried to speak again,
"Malfoy, what-" but I turned and walked away.

He was the one person in this school I cared about now, and to have him question me when I was in such a state wasn't what I wanted.

I felt I wanted him, of all people, to understand, but I just couldn't talk to him right now. I'd had enough.

I thought he may follow me, so I broke into a run and out of sight to my common room, where I had originally intended to go. I needed a break from everyone.