Chapter 29

Draco's P.O.V

I didn't actually believe Potter would turn up and watch me play guitar. I was just joking back at the Shrieking Shack, but all the same I'm glad. It's basically a date!

Okay, it isn't. But I like to tell myself it is. When the bell rang, I headed to the Forbidden Forest.

You may think the Forbidden Forest is a bad place for hanging out, because it's dark and gloomy, but that's just at night.

During daytime, the forest is really rather quite pretty. It just looks like regular woods.

I arrived, and stood under a tree just at the entrance.

As much as I wanted to, I couldn't go too deep into the forest, otherwise Potter wouldn't see me. I waited a couple of minutes, then Potter finally arrived.

"So, you turned up I see," I said grinning.

"I sure did," he replied.

"Shall we go a bit deeper into the forest? I mean, I don't really want to be seen by anyone," I asked hopefully.

"Yeah okay," said Potter as if he didn't really mind.

I picked up my guitar case and carried it further into the forest, to a grassy clearing with trees all around.

I sat down under a tree in the centre of the clearing and got out my guitar.

Potter sat down opposite me with his legs stretched out and his hands on the grass behind him. I looked up at him.

"Right, this shouldn't be awkward, considering you've seen me sing Merlin knows how many times already without me knowing," I said.

I strummed once and started to sing. I sang until I became aware Potter was watching me, so stopped and sighed.

"Just- just pretend I'm not here," Potter said.

I nodded and re-started the song. After that, I became much more confident and continued singing.

The song got faster, and I got louder. With one final strum, I finished the song. I heard Potter clapping.

"See? That wasn't so hard, was it Malfoy?" He laughed.

"Draco. Call me Draco," I said.

"What?" He asked, surprised.

"I said... call me Draco."

No one ever called me Draco. Not even my closest friends. I wouldn't let anyone. I always wanted to be known as a Malfoy.

I never cared for anyone as much as I cared for Potter, so therefore he was the only person I would allow to do it.

As seeing as I thought I'd never be friends with Potter, I assumed I'd just stay 'Malfoy' forever.

Now we're acquainted, it felt good to finally be on first name basis with at least one person other than my parents.

"Oh okay. Call me Harry," Potter said.
I smiled at him, which he returned.

"So, another song then?" I offered.

"Okay!" He replied enthusiastically. Merlin, he was so cute.

After that, I sang on for hours and hours. I sang a different song each time, and even Harry was enjoying himself.

At one point, he actually joined in singing, and I must say, he wasn't a bad singer!

We sang all through the evening, until nightfall when I finished the last song.

"Ma- Draco I think we'd better head back up to the castle now, it's getting dark," Harry said.

"Yeah okay," I said, and packed up my guitar. We both stood up and walked slowly back to the castle.

I know neither of us would admit it, but I feel like we were both deliberately taking our time because we simply enjoyed each other's company.

We talked the entire time; I believe tonight's events brought us closer and I actually felt comfortable talking to him and just being myself.

I never thought we'd get this close, and if I'm honest, if I woke up right now I wouldn't be surprised.

This whole thing was difficult to believe. It was like we were different people who had just met in the woods.

I had to keep reminding myself we were Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter.

We had been enemies for most of the time we knew one another, we were both gay and little did he know I had loved him since first-year.

My plan had worked- I had managed to become closer to him before Valentine's Day.

I was even happy to now call him my friend. This meant that when I send him the letter on Valentine's Day, he'd actually be quite delighted with my 'surprise' I have planned.

It sounds crazy to say, but now I genuinely believe I could actually end up with Harry Potter.