15| Revelations

Bryan's POV:

"She sang that song for me? She picked that song for me!" I recount to myself as I sit in the pack house driveway. I'm filled with so many emotions between seeing her mom, hearing her beautiful voice on stage, the mate bond she knows nothing about, and this cloud of secrecy hanging over it all. I should just tell her and get it over with. Maybe after the dust settles and we have time to heal, then maybe she will let me back in and we can be together. Or she will hate me forever.

Mate won't hate us. Max boasts confidently.

What makes you so sure? Doubting his confidence.

We've already made the connection. She might need time to heal, but our bond is strong even without completing the mating process. She's special. You'll see. Be strong, be strong for her and she will prove me right. Isn't she worth it? Max's question has only one answer.

Yes! She's worth the wait. She is worth the pain of separation. She's worth anything life throws at us. It's my turn to sound confident.

Then we will do what is necessary and then we will wait. We will continue to protect her like we always have, without her knowing. Max declares.

You're right. Regardless of what happens after she knows the truth, we will continue to be there for her. She truly is one of a kind. I lean my head back onto my headrest. I allow my mind to drift back to her performance.

The spotlight rises on the stage, highlighting Amanda's shadowed figure. The quiet keys of the piano begin to fill the auditorium. Her voice was angelic, but what hit me like a ton of bricks were the lyrics. I need someone to rely on, sat by the river and it made me complete, tell me when you're gonna let me in, somewhere only we know. Each line spoke of memories we made together in only a few short months. The song was perfect. She's perfect. My perfect mate. I'm her only imperfection and I hate it. I hate I can't tell her or fix it.

"What am I gonna do if she rejects me?" I contemplate to myself. I decide to go for a run and let Max out. I need to take the backseat for a bit and feel the wind through my fur.

I told Max to avoid our secret spot. It will always be our spot. I've got too many things swirling in my head to go there. He steers us to other spots around the territory and even decides to do some hunting. I could feel the exhaustion start to creep in as Max slows, panting after such a rigorous run.

After an hour of running, I make my way back to the pack house. It's late so I assume everyone is asleep. I slide the back-glass door and enter the living room.

"You're ready to tell her, aren't you?" Sam asks, her voice and question catch me off guard. She and Luke are sitting on the couch. They look as though they've been waiting for me. I simply nod and run my hands through my hair. Luke wraps his arm around Sam before speaking.

"We know how difficult this has been on you, but we also know how difficult this has been and will be for her. She deserves to know, but in the right way. We have no idea what she will do after she knows the truth." Luke confesses. Sam begins to cry, tears rolling down her already puffy face, as she leans into Luke's embrace.

"I can't lose my best friend, Luke. I can't. She's been through so much already!" Sam's sobs grow stronger as her panic sets in. He rubs her back and kisses her hair. The scene is heartbreaking as the realization hits me. This revelation will impact more than just me. The weight of the truth will undoubtedly affect her, but also Sam, Luke, her mom, the pack, and yes, me. I let out a deep breath.

I stand there for a moment before taking a seat across from them. "And I can't lose my mate. I've fallen in love with her and she doesn't even know what's going on around her and under her very nose. I can't stand the secrets. Maybe that's why the Moon Goddess chose her as my mate. She knew Mandy would push me to be a better person, own up to my mistakes, and right the wrong I've done." I sigh and bow my head. "I'm going to try and wait for graduation, but the urge to tell her is so strong. I don't want to lose her, but I can't keep her in the dark. She needs to know. No, she deserves to know the truth."

"We will do all we can to support you, and her, in this. She may need time to heal and process afterwards. Are you going to be able to let her leave?" Luke asks.

"I won't have a choice. I will have to trust the Moon Goddess's plan." I state firmly. They nod in agreement. "Let's just pray for a happy ending when all of this is said and done." I rise and go upstairs to my room.

I try to sleep, but flashes of memories flood my brain. From first finding out Amanda was my mate, watching her swim, watching her sing, her terrified face during the rogue attack, to that fateful night involving her dad. I finally decide sleep will not be happening tonight. I change into my workout clothes and head to the basement of the pack house.

After running on the treadmill for a while, I decide the punching bag might help me get out some of my emotions. I am so focused on my inner thoughts and punching the bag I fail to notice when James walks in. He moves behind the bag to hold it steady. I stop momentarily to question his presence.

"I knew something was bothering you. Wanna talk about it or keep punching the bag like it owes you money?" he asks sarcastically. I continue punching the bag until my arms feel like jello. James stays quiet the entire time, letting me have this moment to get it out. I finally stop and undo the Velcro straps on my gloves. I collapse on the mat still breathing heavily. James breaks the silence.

"Look, I know you're in a tough spot. We all are, but you more than most. You can't keep holding on to this guilt. It was an accident," James explains.

"But I am guilty, bro, accident or not, I am guilty. How can I ever expect her to forgive me? I'm the reason she grew up without a father. I'm the one that took his life. Yes, I was protecting the pack or fulfilling my duty, but I should have questioned more instead of acting on impulse." I shake my head at the memory.

"You were ten years old, Bryan! Cut yourself some slack. How can you ever expect her to forgive you if you can't forgive yourself?" James demands. "You're my best friend and I know how sorry you are for what happened. And yes, she may need time to process everything, but I can tell she cares for you as you do her. Regardless of the mate bond. Time isn't the enemy, but your friend in this situation. But, if you're going to tell her, please make it the right time and circumstance" he states firmly.

"How did yo—" I begin.

"Sam and Luke came to visit me while you were out running after the Spring Festival. They saw your dilemma. I guess that's why they are our best warriors," he chuckles. "Attention to every detail. But, they wanted to make sure you both were supported. They love you as much as they do Mandy. We're family. So, I talked to my dad and he has given you the green light to tell her. He still has concerns as there is more to the story, but he said the less we know about that the better....at least for now." James shows his frustration with his father for keeping him in the dark. He doesn't say it, but as the future Alpha and leader of this pack, being kept from pack information infuriates him. He's keeping it together for my sake, but as his Beta and best friend, I see it.

I stare at him in realizing how much this pack means to me and how much everyone is connected. This pack includes Amanda and her mother. Her mother knows, but vowed to wait until the right time to reveal the truth. She wanted Amanda to have as much of a normal upbringing as possible, which we, for the most part, provided for her except the whole ignoring thing.

"Then, graduation would be the perfect time to tell her. Closes one chapter, but opens another." I say. "Time to prepare for the hardest thing I'll ever have to do." James reaches out a hand to pull me up as we walk out of the training center back to the pack house.