46| The Rescue

Bryan's POV:

It's the calm before the storm. The territory is quiet as the warriors move into position to intercept Alpha Marcus' army. They have clear instructions to send word of anything suspicious or any signs of the army. I stand next to Alpha James and Gamma Nick awaiting any movement from the treeline.

I turn my head slightly to look behind me when several footsteps line up behind us. My eyes furrow into a stern glare when I see Mandy standing next to Cora, Whitney, and Claudia. She doesn't immediately make eye contact with me as she scans the treeline just like I taught her, focusing on the scene. Part of my heart swells with pride, but the other part excels with nervousness for her safety and well-being. She shouldn't be here! What if something happens? We can't focus on this fight while worrying about her!

Our mate is strong! Picked by the Moon Goddess! She will fight alongside us and help us win! Don't argue, you won't win! Max growls inside my head causing me to shake my head. It's then I feel eyes on me. I lift my head and meet the curious gaze of my powerful mate. I concede to Max's words and simply smile and give her a slight understanding nod. She returns with a smile of her own. She's ready. She's strong. She's special. How did I get so lucky?

I'm ready, Bryan. Mandy mindlinks me.

Pinky promise? I mindlink her. I wink and hold up my pinky toward her. She moves forward toward me and raises hers in response as I move toward her as well. Our pinkies hook and I lean down to seal it with a kiss. She does the same. I give her a quick peck and return to the frontline. I side glance noticing similar exchanges between Alpha James and Luna Whitney as well as Gamma Nick and Claudia. James has always been confident in Whitney's fighting skills, but you can tell he's worried about her. She assures him all of the children and elderly are safe in the pack's bunker. Nick is losing his mind as Claudia huffs that she isn't leaving and will fight along our members. He is fighting a losing battle. I chuckle at his frustration, but quickly compose myself as now is not the time to joke with my best friend or lose focus.

"He hasn't learned not to argue with her, yet" Alpha James chuckles beside me.

"That's obvious. Can't say part of me doesn't feel the same way." glancing from James to Mandy.

"You and I both know we need them here. Especially Amanda. We can't win without her." he says with understanding our difficult predicament. I don't have a chance to respond as we all snap our heads forward at the sound of slow deliberate steps marching through the forest, breaking branches, snapping twigs. A low growl rises from my gut in anticipation of our enemy. My eyes widen as the first people to appear are a beaten and tortured Sam and Luke wearing silver manacles. I hear Mandy gasp, seeing her friends in their current state.

I wait expectedly for the weather to change or a clap of thunder, but nothing. I don't turn around, but my ears tune into Cora repeating some sort of mantra with Mandy following her lead. Ah! So that's how she's managing to control her emotions. I'm glad because I would hate to give anything away this early in the fight because as far as we know Marcus only suspects she's an elemental.

As if the thought of his name is the cue he is waiting on, Alpha Marcus steps into view followed by hundreds of rogues. His sinister smirk adorns his face and his dark eyes carrying an evil sparkle.

You remember the plan, baby? I say through our link.

Yes...I stay hidden, fight only if necessary in human form only, and climb to avoid attacks...well, until the perfect time. She recites our plan. The last part is slightly different.

Perfect time? I can't help, but turn my sights away from Marcus and back to her.

Trust me. She says quickly and returns her eyes to the treeline. What does she have planned? Goddess, please protect her.