50| Skip to the Good Part

Amanda's POV:

"You ready to go?" Bryan breaks me from my thoughts. I've been standing in front of my full-length mirror for several minutes. I take another look at my attire: black dress pants and a simple blue tunic. We are heading to the meeting house for Laura's trial which begins today. Bryan doesn't seem to think it will last too long, since she's already admitted to helping Marcus with information as well as stabbing me on my birthday. The trial is just a precautionary measure so she can be sentenced properly.

"Yeah, I suppose." I say sadly. I hate having to be a part of this decision. Her hatred of me brought her to this very dark and inescapable place. They won't turn her rogue because she could still attack and she has no title to take, so it only leaves two options: death or life in prison. If she were of sound mind, they could have sent her to another pack, but as she as already proven, she is, in fact, certifiably nuts!

We walk hand in hand into the meeting house and wait for the Elders to start the proceedings. Laura is brought up from the pack cells. She looks like a shell of herself. They have silver handcuffs around her wrists and ankles, her hair is mated and disheveled, and her clothes are dirty. I shift uncomfortably in my seat at her appearance as she is led to her seat in front of the judge.

After several hours of presenting evidence, some things I was even unaware of, including correspondence between her and Marcus and video evidence of her helping rogues into the territory. My mind flashes to the night of the bonfire where Bryan first showed me his secret spot and we were attacked. I jump when Elder Erik slams the gavel on the table and asks her to rise. She weakly stands before the panel of Elders. He precedes to belt out her sentence.

"For your crimes against Hillcrest Mountain Pack and the werewolf race, we hereby find you guilty of treason, 3 counts of attempted murder of the Beta female, corruption, inciting a war, and espionage. You will spend the remainder of your days in the federal wolf penitentiary. Do you have any final words?" She hangs her head and simply shakes it. She is removed from the meeting house and shipped up north where the prison is housed. I feel a sigh of relief that she doesn't fight it, doesn't spit harsh words at me or anyone else, and they at least give her life instead of an immediate death sentence.

With the trial over and my initiation and acceptance as an official pack member, there is only one thing left to complete before I can settle into this new life. I can't wait to marry Bryan. He has waited for me since he was 18 and I am honestly tired of making him wait. So, the girls and I expedited our wedding plans and turned it into a surprise.

Call it untraditional, but I want to return all of the love, dedication, and hard work he put in for all those years without me knowing about it. This wedding ceremony is my gift to him. He simply has to show up and I will be waiting for him.

Luckily, I have a team of romance-loving conspirators on my side and they have all been sworn to secrecy. It's funny how I hate secrets, but this time I'm the one keeping him out of the loop. I chuckle internally. Opal and Max have also agreed to keep quiet. Max is thrilled with my plan and can't wait for his human to finally reap the benefits of his loyalty.

As the days fly by and the date quickly approaches, I fain needing to see my mother and spending some time with her. Bryan is completely understanding. What he doesn't know is, I plan to get ready there so I can be in the clearing while James takes him to a "business conference" where they are both required to dress up! Man, am I good or what? This plan is epic!

Bryan drives me to my mom's, but I can tell something is bothering him. He's been silent the entire ride, which is unusual for him.

"Bryan? Is everything okay?" my concern easily covers my face. I hear him sigh. I reach my hand out to gently touch his.