37| Traitor

Amanda's POV:

As everyone races to the commotion inside, I become overwhelmed with emotions. I need a moment to wrap my head around all that is happening to me. Pack member? But I'm not even a werewolf? Beta female? What does that even mean? Bryan and I have talked about the hierarchy and what a Beta female is, but am I strong enough to fulfill that role? Won't that make the pack look weak? I decide to walk down the familiar path to the dock behind the pack house. This is where Bryan first kissed me. I smile at the memory. How much has changed since then? As I get closer to the water, I feel strange tingles on my skin. Not good or bad, just strange. I make it to the end of the dock and my need to touch the water increases. I slip off my shoes and sit down so my feet can touch the surface of the water.

As I feel the cold water on my feet, a wave of power surges through my body as if I'm being pumped full of life. I see my skin begin to glow slightly and it looks as if water is swirling around my body, infusing my skin. I'm enthralled by the scene. My eyes widen with awe and wonder. What is this? Could it be?

As quickly as it starts, my skin returns to its normal tone, the water returns to the lake, and a comfortable silence falls on the forest around me. I can barely hear the people at the party. I realize I've been gone longer than intended and should probably get back before people start to worry. I'm so in my head that I don't notice a dark figure walk up behind me.

"Well, well, if it isn't little miss perfect!" I know that voice. I turn around to see a hate-filled expression on Laura's face. "You think you can just mess things up and there not be any consequences?" she asks venomously.

"Mess things up? What are you talking about, Laura?" I cross my arms in annoyance and wait for her response.

"Seriously? Are you that dumb? First, you steal my man. Then, you leave him heartbroken. Then, you waltz back here after four years and sink your claws back in just as I was about to win back his heart. But no matter, a new plan is already in place for you." she smirks, but her eyes begin flashing two different colors.

"Listen, just stay away from me. And stay away from Bryan. Whatever this plan you speak of is, it won't work so just stop." I turn on my heels back to the pack house when I feel her ironclad grip on my arm spinning me back around to face her.

Before I can say another word, I feel her claws ripping into my stomach. The pain radiates throughout my body and I can't scream. I'm silenced by the pain. Her face reddens and her eyes flash black. She pulls me in by my hair and she's so close I can feel her breath on my face.

"You listen well bitch. I will have Bryan. Marcus will be here to collect you soon if you don't die first like your pathetic father did." she retracts her claws and drops me like a sack of concrete to the ground. The pain is so intense, I curl into a ball. I know it's bad because my energy is fading, the blood is pooling in my abdomen and trickling out of the claw marks. Tears begin streaming down my face and I hear a rumble above me. Is this how it ends? I'm not ready to die. I've barely begun living. Oh god! What about Bryan? My poor mother? My friends? My mind goes blank as I begin to fall into darkness. Suddenly, I hear voices and feel people around me. It is Bryan's voice that reaches me.

"Baby! Baby, look at me! Oh goddess! What happened? Who did this? Stay with me! Stay awake, please!" his voice sounds so desperate and wracked with pain. I try to focus on his words and people are checking my body. I wince when someone pushes on my stomach. Bryan's eyes go wide with fear at the sight of my wound.

"Bite her!" a man states firmly.

"What?!" a look of confusion on Bryan's face. Bite me? I don't think another wound will fix this!