2| Why her?

Bryan's POV:

"Deep breaths buddy! Deep breaths! We know how you feel." James says to me as he sees me losing control of my wolf, Max.

"No, you don't know how I feel because you have your mate. God damnit!" I grunt in frustration. "This sucks! Why would the Moon Goddess do this to me? Why did it have to be her of all people?" I say out of frustration and desperation. It could have been anyone, anyone, but it had to be the one person I've avoided since I was ten years old.

"She's so beautiful. I don't deserve her." I whisper to no one in particular.

I see Amanda walk off the pool deck and back into the locker room. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. I take a few more deep breaths and stare at James and Nick.

"What am I gonna do? She's going to hate me!" I say as I run my hands through my dark brown hair. "What if she can't understand all of...this? What if she rejects me?" Max growls in my head.

Have a little faith in our mate! She will learn, she will understand, she will love! Max barks inside my head. I internally roll my eyes still not 100%, but there's not much I can do about it right now.

I knew I would find my mate today. When I woke up this morning, I just had a gut feeling. My 18th birthday was last weekend, but when she wasn't at the party, I knew she was either not invited or might be younger than me. I never guessed it would be the one human residing in our territory. What's worse is I'm the reason for her losing her dad. How will I ever be able to win her forgiveness or her heart if I'm the reason she's had to be raised by a single mother, if I'm the reason she's had to be kept in the dark, and if I'm the reason she's felt the pain and loss of a parent.

All day I've been struggling to control my wolf and to not come across as a creepy stalker. But this morning, while waiting for James, Nick, and Whitney, James' mate and our future Luna, I smelt her as soon as she walked in the door. Honeysuckle. It was the best scent I had ever smelt, so alluring and enticing. I had to stop Max from fully taking control and rushing over to her.

I watched her walk to her locker. She was ignored by almost every single person, but she still held her head high and walked with confidence. It made me a little mad that we have basically treated her like an outcast for so long. She doesn't deserve to be treated this way. I know part of the reason was to protect her because, well, let's face it, werewolves can be pretty nasty and rogues are even worse. Plus, we made a promise to her mother.

Her mother, Amelia, was the sweetest woman alive. She cooked for all of our bonfires, events, socials, etc. And boy, can she cook! When we told her what happened to her husband, I begged for her forgiveness. I was just 10 years old when it happened. I still to this day don't know how it happened, why I didn't get punished, or why I was given her forgiveness. But she took me in her arms and hugged me tight saying "It's okay my child. It's okay. I will learn to heal and I will keep his memory alive." But, when I saw Amanda's face after she was told about her father's death....I wouldn't wish that grief on anyone. Especially not a child. I swore then to stay away from her.

And I tried. I truly did. I guess the Moon Goddess had other plans because now, the one person I swore to stay away from, is my mate. I'm so drawn to her that I kept finding different ways to see her today. Even at lunch, I knew I had been caught, but couldn't turn away. Even after Samantha and Luke, two of our best warriors turned to look at me. Luke mind-linked me. "Dude, you're creeping her out! Knock it off, Beta!" I quickly tried to find something to distract me, but I kept glancing in her direction even if she refused to look at me. If only she knew the truth.

This afternoon was no different. Watching her swim was so captivating that I could hardly concentrate on the football team's annual season kick-off water polo game. It's a way to avoid the sweltering heat, bond with new teammates, and still get in some quality conditioning. As I watched, she moved seamlessly through the water. She was so natural and in sync with the water. Truly effortless. I couldn't tear my eyes away from her.

"Let's get out of here. I reek of chlorine. Yuck!" Nick said making a face. Our sensitive noses only amplify the chemical smell which can be overpowering.

"Yeah, let's hit the showers and then grab some burgers. I think we've had enough excitement for one day." James says, glancing back at me.

"Yeah, alright." I say absentmindedly as I continue to stare at the locker room door.

We shower and change and head for the Senior parking lot just as I see Amanda drive away in her yellow Jeep Wrangler. Goddess, she looks amazing. I stand there for a moment hoping she will turn to look a me, but she stays focused on the road and I'm left longing. James comes and pats me on the back in understanding. I don't know how I'm going to make this work or how to make her mine.

We head to the local diner to grab some food before heading back to the pack house. Our waitress, Shelly, takes our order and tries to flirt with me, but I pay her no attention. My thoughts are fixated on only one girl. I let out a deep breath after she stomps away.

"You up for this?" James breaks me out of my thoughts. I glance across the table at him, unsure of what to say.

"Do I have a choice?" I ask already knowing the answer.

"Nope!" James replies popping the "p" while Nick shakes his head. "You know the moon goddess must have a plan. Not sure where this twisted plan is headed just yet, but what I do know is that your life's story just got a whole lot more interesting! So what are you going to do? Are you going to reject her or give her a chance?" My eyes snapped to his angrily and a low growl left my lips before I could stop it. Even if what he said offended me, James is still my Alpha and what I just did could be seen as disrespectful and insubordination. Luckily, James is also my best friend and we've known each other since we were in diapers. "Okay, point taken, no need to get angry. So what are you going to do to win her forgiveness...and her heart?" he asks. I needed a plan.

After our food arrived and I once again ignored Shelly's flirts, I get a crazy, but awesome idea about how to break the ice and get to know her better without her suspecting anything. I would just need a little help from James' dad, Alpha Xavier. Let's just hope he doesn't think I've gone completely bonkers!

"Alpha, I need a favor." I smile at my plan while Nick and James give each other curious looks.

"Ah hell! I know that look! What is it?" I lean in as do James and Nick to hear my idea.