26: The Apology

Lydia's POV

Chloe let me use her computer so that I could finish my last assignment for the school year. I sat on the bed typing away. There were only three weeks of school left and I was grateful for it. That means less time to see Mr. Hudson. I guess I should go back to calling him that.

"I love you Lyd, but you need to go home."

"Why," I whined, stretching out the word.

"Because your mom is worried sick. She's been texting me all morning for your whereabouts. Now, I'm no snitch, but Claudia is the only parent in the world who scares me." She grabbed onto my arm and knelt down on the floor next to me, "I don't want to be banished from your house forever, for harboring a fugitive."

I pulled my arm back and sucked my teeth. "You're not going to be banished. And I'm not ready yet." She looked at me with pleading eyes. "Fine, tell her I'm here." She tilted her head to the side. "I'll go back home once I'm finished with this assignment. But, don't tell her that part." She grabbed her phone and started typing.

I wasn't ready for my mom's reaction when I got home. Not only had I slept with my teacher, but I had also run away and probably broken her phone. Clearly, the fall wasn't enough to where the phone didn't work though. I knew she was going to be pissed, but she knew what she said was going to hurt me and she said it anyway. Did she really think that of me?

"You know your mom didn't mean what she said."

It was like Chloe read my mind. "Of course she did. When you're drunk or mad the truth comes out."

"Or, when you're drunk, you lie to look cool, and when you're mad you lie to hurt the feelings of the people you're mad at."

"Regardless, that was low. And she blew everything out of proportion."

"I agree. But, you should at least hear her out."

"She wouldn't hear me out. And whose side are you on?"

"I'm always on yours. That's why I'm telling you this. You can't be mad at your mom forever."

"Yes, I can. Do you remember Carly Thompson in sixth grade? I hate her to this day."

Chloe laughed. "Okay, but she's a student. Claudia's your mother, and the only parent you have left. If my parents cared about me the way your mom cares about you, I would never take that for granted. Your dad left so she became both parents. She was always there. The only reason she got mad at you was because she cared."

As much as I didn't want to admit it, I knew she was right. "You know Chloe, you are smarter than people give you credit for."

"That's the highest compliment you could ever give me," she reached up to hug me and I hugged her back.

"What? I tell you you're gorgeous and a great dancer all of the time."

"Yeah but you're super smart, so if you say I'm even remotely smart, I die."

"Well, then I'll tell you more often."

"No, because then it loses its value. Save it for rare moments." Chloe got up to lay down on the bed and tested her head in my lap. "Would you ever have a threesome with me and another guy?"

"I don't even want to think about sex right now." I finally processed what she said. "Wait! What?"

"I was just curious," she shrugged.

"Why?"

"Because you have a banging body."

"Umm... thanks, but isn't that a little weird?"