18: The Phone Number

Read the author's note!!!

Lydia's POV

"Can I have your phone number?" I sat down on Mr. Hudson's desk.

"Sure, why?" He leaned back in his chair and looked up at me.

"Just in case of anything."

"You mean just in case of a dick appointment?"

"That too," I smiled. I handed him my phone and he typed in his phone number. "Oh! I forgot. Thank you for my birthday present."

"My dick is a gift, isn't it?" He smirked.

"No! The new ballet shoes, and the candy. It was very sweet. Also, what you said was nice too."

"Oh. You actually liked it? I didn't know what to get."

"Yes. I needed new ones anyway and the ones you got were super high quality. And expensive."

"I'm glad you liked them. I didn't know if they were good or not but the lady in the store said they were. I also didn't know if they would fit." I started fiddling with my nails.

He pulled my hands apart. "What is it?"

I bit my lip nervously for what I was about to ask next. "When's the next time your wife will be out of the house? Sorry, I mean, Victoria."

"She actually moved out this weekend, when she saw the divorce papers on the counter."

"Really!" I don't know why I was so shocked. I knew they were getting a divorce, I guess just hearing the words made it more official.

"Yeah, why?" I was about to start playing with my fingernails again when he pulled my hands apart and pulled me into his lap. "Stop it. Just say what you want to say."

"I was wondering if I could come over sometime?"

"Yeah. You can come over this Saturday if you're free."

"Really!" Now I was shocked. I definitely expected him to turn me down.

"Yeah. Why are you shocked?"

"I don't know. What time?"

"Anytime. Just pop in. I'll be home all day."

"Got it! I gotta go. I have rehearsals. Where I'll be using my new dance shoes," I winked.

He chuckled and nodded, "Good luck."

I wanted to kiss him goodbye, but I thought it would be weird, so I just grabbed my stuff and left.

. . .

Mr. Hudson's POV

It was 4:00 pm. I should've given Lydia a specific time. I'm an idiot. Now I've been rushing around all morning trying to make sure everything was in place. Why was I so nervous for her to come to my house? Over the years I've learned to be very good at pretending to be calm when I'm not. This was not one of those times.

She's been here before and everything was fine. Just breathe, Daniel. Chill out.

I heard a ring on the doorbell. I did a once-over to make sure everything looked good. I took a deep breath and walked over to the door. When I opened the door there was only a package. Dammit!

"Boo!"

I jumped. "What the hell, Lydia! Don't do that."

She doubled over laughing. "Oh my gosh. That was amazing! You looked so disappointed to see a box. Were you waiting for me?" She put a hand on her chest, sarcastically, as though she cared.