7: The Camping Trip

The weekend

"Sunscreen, bug spray..." my mom listed off.

"Mom! Calm down. I have everything. And you're talking so loud that you're gonna embarrass me." I had my mom drop me off at school since I didn't want to leave my car there for the weekend.

"I'm sorry. Okay, I love you. Stay safe," she gave me a kiss on my cheek. "Oh! Do you have protection?" She whispered.

"Mom!" she just stared at me. "Yes, okay. Happy now?"

"Obviously I'm not happy. I don't want my baby getting too close to boys. But it's inevitable." She pinched my cheeks.

"Mom, stop, you're embarrassing me!"

"Hi," Chloe said interrupting as I swatted my mom's hand away from my face.

"Oh, hi Chloe! How have you been? Staying out of trouble I hope."

"Ugh, you sound like such a mom, Claudia. You don't want someone to think you actually have a kid."

My mom laughed. "We were supposed to keep it a secret that Lydia's not my real daughter."

"Hey, you admitted it, not me."

"Oh, shoot. You're right."

My mom and Chloe had this inside joke that there was no possibility I could be my mother's daughter. She had straight hair, I had curly hair. She had full lips and mine were medium. She had brown eyes, I had green eyes. She had a full, curvy hourglass figure and I had a more slender hourglass figure. The only thing similar about us was that we were both light skins.

"Haha, very funny," I said sarcastically. "If Chloe can call you Claudia then so can I," I faced my mom.

"Chloe is not my child."

"Oh so now I'm your child!"

"You're always gonna be my baby," she squished my face.

"Okay, enough with the lovey-dovey," Chloe interrupted. "We've got a camping trip to go on."

"Watch over Lydia, Chloe," My mom pointed at her.

"You trust me?" Chloe genuinely looked shocked.

"You're better than nothing." My mom walked away.

I looked to the side and saw some football players staring at her. I rolled my eyes. My mom couldn't seem to go unnoticed. Especially since she was wearing her work clothes. Some khaki flare out pants and a white buttoned-down shirt that showed the slightest bit of cleavage. It complemented her figure well. I'd always wished I got her curvy genes.

"Everybody on the bus," I turned to see Mr. Hudson taking students' attendance.

For the whole week, I'd done a great job of not talking to him. I barely even looked at him and he didn't really seem to acknowledge me. But now he would have to.

Chloe and I walked to the bus entrance. He looked up and smiled at Chloe. "What's your last name again Chloe?"

"Kim Lee."

Chloe was the most beautiful person I knew after my mom. Even though she was only half Korean, the genes were strong. A lot of girls loved to start rumors about her because they were jealous of her beauty.

I remember how we met in kindergarten. Some girl had called her "Ching Chong." I told them that was racist and the girl tried to hit me but Chloe pushed her down first and the girl started crying. Chloe and I got in trouble but my mom got us both out.

My mom was a successful lawyer and school administrators couldn't compare when it came to her debating skills.

"And Lydia Rose. How could I forget that name," Mr. Hudson said, not looking up from his clipboard. I just walked inside of the bus without looking at him and rolled my eyes.

The bus ride was chaotic, to say the least. A guy even put his bare butt against the window. It was getting too loud and so much was going on that I just decided to go to sleep to block it out.

I woke up to Chloe tapping my shoulder. "Hey, wake up. We're here."

"Did I drool or snore?"

"Surprisingly no. I think that's a new record for you. Congrats," she clapped.

"Yay me," I said sarcastically.

She laughed. "Come on. Let's go quick so we can find a good spot." She got her bag and stood up. "It needs to be far enough from the lake so that we don't get pranked with our stuff being put in the lake. But, close enough that we can watch anyone go skinny dipping. But also far away from the cabins so the teachers can't hear us if we're up to something."

"Got it," I chuckled, grabbing my bag and following her to exit the bus.

"I don't think I've told you this, but I'm glad you came. I know this isn't your type of scene so I appreciate your effort."

"Might as well start making memories now right? I'm sort of glad I came too. Now I'll get to see you in your natural habitat."

She held a hand up. "I get a little crazy so don't judge."

"I won't," I giggled.

We finally found a spot and set our stuff down on a bench nearby.

"Ok, you stay here and I'll go get a tent," Chloe said and walked away.

I sat on the bench and heard leaves crunching behind me. I turned to see it was Asher. "Hey!"

"Hey what's up," I responded.

"Nothing. Do you and Chloe need help setting up your tent?"

"That would be appreciated," I smiled.

"Um," Asher scratched the back of his head. "So we're gonna have a huge bonfire party thing tonight a little further down the lake so the teachers won't hear us. I was wondering if you wanted to come." I sighed. "I know it's not really your scene, but it's one night. And it's your senior year, you have to live it up."

I shook my head. "Fine."

"Great! I'll see you there then."

Chloe finally came back with a tent. "Oh hey, Asher. Wanna give us a hand?"

"Of course, m'lady," he bowed.

"Never do that again," she held a finger up.

Umm... hope you enjoyed it! What did you guys think of the chapter? Also, don't forget to vote.