11: The Snitch

Lydia's POV

I walked back to my tent, knowing that Mr. Hudson was a couple of steps behind me, to make sure I got back safely. When I got to the campsite the party had ended and I saw Mrs. Fisher standing next to Asher. Asher had a scowl on his face as he stared at me. Mrs. Fisher looked towards me with a disapproving face. She'd never looked at me that way before.

"Hi, Mrs. Fisher," I waved, trying to be polite.

"Where were you, Miss Rose?" She crossed her arms over her chest.

"I went for a walk. I didn't go past the boundaries though."

"You went for a walk in the middle of the night after curfew?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't know that wasn't allowed." If any of the teachers had said that wasn't allowed, I would've remembered it. So technically I didn't lie. But it's always my word against a teacher's. Until my mom comes into the mix.

"Asher here told me about your little altercation."

"He did?" I looked over at him and he just smirked with an evil glint in his eyes.

"He did. He told me about how you were drinking and tried to kiss him. When he didn't kiss you back you poured your drink on him."

"What! That's not what happened at all."

"Then why is he covered in alcohol?"

I thought about my next words carefully. I didn't want to get in trouble, but I also didn't want to have to lie. "Mrs. Fisher, you know that I'm a great student. I've never gotten in trouble, and I have great grades. I always get you gifts on holidays and your birthday. You can tell by smelling my breath that I haven't been drinking. I've never even had alcohol in my life. Not even when adults offer it to me on New Year's. Asher knows this. He lied to you."

"Then do you care to explain how alcohol got on him?"

"I-" I didn't know what to say. I had avoided lying but I had also avoided telling the truth. She put me in a tough spot.

"Lydia, I know you're a good student. Which is why I'm giving you a chance to explain. I don't want you to get in trouble. Everyone knows you're my favorite. So much so that I have no problem admitting it because it's obvious. So please, clear your good name."

"I-" I was usually a quick thinker. Come on brain!

"I saw the whole event go down." I turned around to see Mr. Hudson behind me. I had told him everything that had happened. Was he gonna rat me out, or did he know better?

"Mr. Hudson. Please share your occurrence of the event."

"Well," he clapped his hands together. "I went to go check on the kids and see what they were up to. Then, I noticed Asher sat down next to Lydia and offered her a drink. He seemed persistent but she kept declining. It wasn't until she yelled at him and got up that he finally stopped pressuring her. He grabbed her wrist and pulled her back down to sit with him." Asher's jaw was practically on the floor. Maybe Mr. Hudson didn't remember how I told him the story. Or maybe he "didn't remember" how I told him the story. He was stretching the truth. And I didn't mind.

"Then they talked for a couple of minutes before Asher leaned in for a kiss and Lydia backed up. He then proceeded to yell at her. Then he got up, leaving the cup on the bench. Lydia picked it up to give it to him and when she tapped on his shoulder, he spun around knocking it out of her hand and spilling it on him. She seemed to apologize, but he yelled at her again and she walked away into the woods crying."

"Hmm. That seems like a more truthful explanation rather than the one you told me, Asher. Especially knowing Lydia's reputation," she looked at me smiling, "and knowing yours," she pointed at Asher with a straight face. "We'll deal with you when we get back on campus, Asher. I'm sorry for the confusion, Lydia." I smiled and nodded, and Mrs. Fisher walked away, headed back towards the cabin.

I didn't have to lie. Mr. Hudson did it for me. I looked behind me to meet his face, but he was looking at Asher with a scowl. Everybody seemed to go back to focusing on whatever they were doing before, and Asher walked away. I knew he was going to avoid me like I was a plague. At least for the rest of this trip. That was fine with me.

I made sure no one was looking. I placed a hand on Mr. Hudson's arm. "Thank you. I appreciate it. I honestly don't know what I would've done without you."

"No problem," he said, looking down at me. "I don't mind getting kids like Asher suspended. I remember guys like that in high school. They were dicks," he laughed. Once again, he flashed his beautiful smile.

I wanted to kiss him so badly, but I knew I couldn't. I couldn't pull my eyes away from his lips. And by the way he was staring at my lip, I could tell he wanted to kiss me too.

"Hey, Lydia," Chloe called, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Um. I'm gonna go," I said walking away from my teacher.

"What's up," Chloe said. "I heard about the thing with Asher. You should've come to me; I would've beaten his ass."

Knowing Chloe, she really would've fought Asher and she would've won. She gets this superhuman strength when it comes to fighting someone over something she's passionate about. She didn't get in fights often, but when she did, it was for a major reason.

"It's fine," I said. "I'm fine. Honestly, I got over the whole ordeal pretty quickly."

"How?"

"I just got distracted. From the real world, while I was gone, I guess." Once again, I did not lie. I just didn't tell the truth either.

I want to say that to everyone who consistently reads, comments, and votes! It warms my heart and makes my day and I appreciate it so much. You have no idea! Thank you all for being so patient.

I don't really have anything to say about this chapter. How did y'all feel about Mr. Hudson standing up for Lydia? 

How many of you read the Author's note? Just curious. I guess I did have some stuff to say.

Umm... hope you enjoyed it! What did you guys think of the chapter? Also, don't forget to vote