20: The Operation Storyline

Lydia's POV

I woke up to light shining on my face. How long have I been sleeping? I felt well-rested but it couldn't have been more than an hour if it was still light outside. Didn't I fall asleep around six though? It should've been dark out.

I looked down and saw that I was laying on top of Daniel. I tried to get off of him without waking him. He stirred a bit but didn't wake up.

I reached for my phone on the desk and saw I had a missed and a couple of missed messages from my mom. I checked the time and it was 9:29. Shoot! I looked again and saw it was 9:29 am. As in the next day! Shit! She's gonna kill me!

I ran into the bathroom and took off the sweatshirt Daniel gave me so that I could put my dress back on. I noticed I had a hickey on my neck and shoulder. Shit! Now she's really gonna kill me!

Okay, I need a plan. I'll go to Chloe's to flat iron my hair and say I burned myself. Then I'll initiate "Operation Storyline."

"Operation Storyline" is something Chloe and I made up the first time she got caught sneaking into her house late. She told her parents she was at my house and we fell asleep. Her parents said they would call me to ask about it, but Chloe got to me first. She texted me a storyline to tell them so she wouldn't get in trouble. The next time we saw each other, we made a whole operation for these situations. It was foolproof. Even if we couldn't get to each other before our parents could, we both had go-to excuses written down in two books that we basically memorized. I'd never even needed to use "Operation Storyline" before, but God was I grateful for it now.

I put my hair in a messy bun and pulled my dress up. I reached for the zipper when I felt hands pulling it up already. I looked in the mirror and saw Daniel pulling it up.

"You okay," he asked.

"No. I'm preparing my will in my head."

"Ooh! Those look bad," he said pointing to my hickeys.

"You think? Don't do that anymore," I said, irritated.

"Sorry," he wrapped his arms around me from behind. He kissed the back of my head.

"I have to go." I threw his hands off of me and walked out of the bathroom. I paused and turned around to look at him. He was leaning against the doorframe.

"I'm sorry for being rude," I said half-assed.

"That didn't feel genuine."

"That's as genuine as you're going to get right now." I continued walking.

"Hey, Lydia."

"Yes?" I turned around once again.

He held up my bra. "I know you like giving me a show, but I don't think this could fit me, so I have no use for it."

I got flustered and tried to hide my smile. Quickly, I snatched the bra out of his hands.

"Bye Lydia."

"Whatever."

...

I plugged in the flat iron. "Okay, so we went shopping at the mall. I couldn't find anything I liked, which is why I have no bags. We got tired, came back to your house, and watched a movie but fell asleep."

"What's the movie," Chloe asked while writing down everything I had said.

"A Quiet Place."

"Got it. You ready for 'the call'?"

I nodded my head. "While I'm on, start doing my hair."

I dialed my mom's phone as Chloe sectioned off my hair to be flat-ironed.