Chapter 12 [By King's Decree]

Start from the beginning

"You insolent, little fool! You have no respect for your Royal Elders, and you think you're fit to choose a future queen? Fit to rule Elyria?" Turning to Grisham, he asked, "Well? As King, aren't you going to do something? Your future King stroked a Royal Elder!"

"Umm? Sorry?" King Grisham, looked up from the documents in his hand, his forehead creased in concentration, "I was looking for a loophole, or a fault in this death wish. What did I miss?" 

Leonidas hid a smile as he backed away from his grandfather, who looked fit to kill.

"I have never been thus treated in my entire life, and to be treated like that in my own home, by my own son and grandson, well, I never!." Erland huffed.

"I have no idea what you speak of, my dear Elder," Leonidas feigned, with a mock look of horror. 

With that, both King and future King left the previous King fuming, as they headed back to the king's Chambers.

****

"This cannot be happening! Father, tell me it's a fake or something... anything..." Leonidas pleaded to the King, an hour later in the King's Chambers.

The two read the betrothal decree and could not find a single way to break the ruling of a king. As King, Erland would have been within his power to have a marriage set, without either party knowing. That was his right as King. Any chance Leonidas had of not being bound by that decree is to prove that Erland forged the documents after he passed on the throne to Grisham, making the betrothal decree void [A/N: not legally binding], as Erland would have been acting ultra vires [A/N:acting beyond the powers/ authorities given to him]. Without that proof, even if he, or this Catalina Del Gado, wish to come out of the agreement, they couldn't, as by Law, they were both bound by the King's decision. 

King Grisham sympathised with his son. "I'll give this to the Royal Council. They'll look it over. Surely they'll find a way out. They have all the legal training and mumbo jumbo to break any contract. They'll find a loophole, or something, if we can't prove the document is forged."

Leonidas knew that to be true, but this was no ordinary contract. This was a ruling made by a King, if proven to be authentic. 

"There you are! I was looking for you. I thought you'd be in your Chambers, after a meeting with your grandfather, not in conference with the King!" A voice teased from the doorway.

Both men turned to see Queen Lucilla entering the doorway, with a teasing smile on her lips.

Leonidas bowed to his mother, and when he made to get up and turn away, the Queen stopped him by placing her hands on his shoulders. She was a few inches shorter than both her sons and husband, but was still a force to be reckoned with. 

Searching her son's eyes, and examining his tortured features, Queen Lucilla glanced at her husband and witnessed the same look. Her smile turned to a frown of concern.

"What happened? What did His Royal Elder do this time?" She asked her son.

King Grisham walked up to his wife and kissed her cheek, "Have a look for yourself," he sighed. 

After recognising a betrothal decree and a King's seal of approval, she sank to a nearby chair, and cautiously read the entire three pages. 

Leonidas and King Grisham waited patiently for her to finish. 

"Is this a real decree?" she asked when she was done. 

"We'll have the Council review it." Her husband assured her.

"Oh! My poor darling," she said, going up to her son and pulling him into her embrace. 

It was a common thing for his mother to show him, or his siblings any affection. She down played it in public, because the Royals were not allowed public displays of affection to their offspring or spouse, but in private, Queen Lucilla had smothered her children with love and affection.