018 | BURY A FRIEND

018 | BURY A FRIEND

( bury a friend — billie eilish )

" step on the glass
staple your tongue, ah, 
bury a friend
try to wake up, ah "

" step on the glassstaple your tongue, ah,  bury a friendtry to wake up, ah "

MANHATTAN, NEW YORK
THE COURTROOM

THE TRIAL | PART 1

____________________________

                      ASPEN HAD NEVER BEEN THIS NERVOUS FOR A COURTROOM APPEARANCE BEFORE. This wasn't her first time standing in front of a judge, nor was it for first time standing before a jury.

She was used to having innocent people's faits in the palm of her hand, and as of yet in her career— she'd never lost a case.

But this wasn't just anyone's fait in her hands this time— It was Stiles.

She was dressed in her finest business attire— a black, knee length pencil skirt, and a matching blazer, and a simple white button down underneath. On the surface to anyone else's naked eye, she looked put together, confident, and ready to win a case.

On the inside though, she was terrified.

So much about this case was personal— in fact, there wasn't an aspect about the entire thing that wasn't.

She knew the victim.

She used to be friends with the prosecutor.

And the man she was defending was the love of her life— or at least, he was supposed to be.

As she was waiting for the trial to commence, she looked over her shoulder and looked at all the people sitting in the bench pews of the courtroom.

Scott McCall.

Malia Tate.

Kira Yukimura.

Jackson Whittemore.

Josephine Steel.

Jordan Hayes.

There were some other people she didn't know or recognise, just the usual courtroom reporters mostly.

Aspen was sat at the defence's table, Stiles right beside her. He was dressed in a very basic suit, one that Aspen had bought for his court appearance. It helped in most cases that a jury didn't see the defendant in an orange jumpsuit, it humanised them more to see them in a neutral setting.

Aspen looked next to her, seeing Stiles' leg nervously bopping up and down under the table, his hands very fidgety.

"Hey," she said to him, making him look up and meet her eyes, "I can't make the promise that all of this is gonna be okay— but I do have faith that it will be, okay?"