008 | GETTING OLDER

008 | GETTING OLDER

( getting older — billie eilish )

❝ i'm getting older, i think i'm aging well,
i wish someone had told me i'd be doing this
by myself ❞

❝ i'm getting older, i think i'm aging well,i wish someone had told me i'd be doing this by myself ❞

MANHATTAN, NEW YORK
____________________________

           IT HAD BEEN A WEEK since Aspen saw Stiles at state's maximum security prison, and it was one again a Friday night. Aspen was spending the night in alone at home, as Jordan was out tonight with some of his own friends. He asked Aspen if she'd like to come along to hang with the guys, but she just told him to not worry about her and have fun with his friends, and she'd stay home and order take-out.

She was tempted to ask Jo if she wanted to come over and have a girl's night, but Aspen's head was still spinning like crazy and she figured it would be best to have some alone-time so she could clear it.

She hadn't gotten dressed out of her work clothes to shower yet, but she'd gotten a bit more comfortable by taking off her blazer, undoing a few buttons on her shirt and discarding of her tights. She pulled her hair out of the high, slicked back pony tail it had been in all day as she walked over to the kitchen.

It was only ever when Jordan wasn't here with her that she truly realised how huge this apartment was—it was the penthouse, after all. It felt like everything echoed, and the high ceilings and minimalistic walls made it feel even bigger.

And then when she was all on her own, that made her feel lonelier.

Aspen shouldn't be feeling lonely—she had a fiancé, Jordan Hayes, who loved her. She had a best friend, Josephine Steel, who was the best friend a girl could ask for. She had a super caring boss who actually made working a positive environment, which not everybody had in this city.

But none of those people really knew who she was.

Everyone who really know who Aspen was inside and out—weren't in her life much anymore.

There was Lydia, of course—who she was in France with only two weeks ago. The two of them would always be friends, but they never really stayed in contact for very long.

There was Stiles, of course... she didn't have him anymore.

Her and Malia drifted apart, but Aspen couldn't deny it brought a huge smile to her face to run into the woman last week by surprise.

She hadn't seen Isaac Lahey in years.

There was still her brother, though—Ace Carter. The two siblings, having overcome the impossible together, would always be there for one another no matter how much time passed without them speaking.