002 | EMPIRE STATE OF MIND

( empire state of mind — jay z / alicia keys )

❝ now you're in new york,
these streets will make you feel brand new,
big lights will inspire you,
let's hear it for new york ❞

❝ now you're in new york, these streets will make you feel brand new,big lights will inspire you,let's hear it for new york ❞

MANHATTAN, NEW YORK
___________________________

THE STREETS OF MANHATTAN weren't the best place to be walking after getting off a nine-hour flight, wheeling a massive suitcase past angry New Yorkers who didn't care if they bumped into you and spilt all their coffee on your shirt.

Luckily, Aspen had gotten used to the New York etiquette in the nearly seven years she'd been living in the city. Unlike in Paris this time of year, Manhattan was freezing. She was wrapped up in a trench coat and a beret keeping her head warm, which she brought back from her trip.

She finally got to her apartment complex, walking through the revolving doors and letting out a deep breath as she stepped into the civilised warmth, away from the hectic streets.

She took off her hat as she ran a hand through her hair, sighing as she stood still for a moment, setting her suitcase down as she got out her phone to send a text to her fiance that she was home from the airport, on her way up from the lobby now.

Aspen then grabbed her suitcase and wheeled it through the reception area, smiling at the receptionist she'd become rather acquainted with over the years.

"Hey Bailey," Aspen greeted with a friendly wave as she headed for the elevator.

Aspen may live in a fancy, rich apartment complex, but she never became the type of person who wouldn't stop the take the time to learn the receptionist's name. Bailey was a similar age to herself, in her late twenties, and was always very friendly when Aspen came home from work.

"Hi Aspen, how was your trip?" Bailey, the receptionist, asked from behind the desk.

"Incredible, thank you!" Aspen smiled, as she pressed the button for the elevator and waited a moment. "Did I happen to get any mail while I was gone?"

"There were a few envelopes, but your fiancé collected them and took them up to the penthouse for you." Bailey replied, typing something on the keyboard of the front desk computer.

"Of course he did..." Aspen smiled to herself, standing by the elevator patiently.

"Speaking of," Bailey spoke across the reception, "Have you guys set a date yet?"

"Not yet," Aspen sighed, turning to smile politely at Bailey. "We've just both been super swamped with work, y'know?"

Bailey smiled and nodded in response, as the elevator doors finally dinged and opened up, and Aspen walked into it, wheeling her suitcase behind her, putting her beret back on her head which made her smile at her reflection in the elevator's mirror.