HBW SERIES: LAST AUTHOR'S NOTE

omg.

wowza.

the fact that this series has now actually ended, has me so damn emotional. i can't believe aspen's story, and staspen's, is over.

now, i know a lot of you are very upset with me right now, but aspen had to die!!! it broke my heart to do it, but after escaping death as many times as she had, and a story as complex and as sad and deep as hers— it could only end this way.

another reason i did it, is because (and maybe i'm sadistic) i am a true hater of happy endings.

yeah, i said it, i hate happy endings.

i am a sad, devastating ending lover through and through. if a book causes me tears, i instantly love it— if it doesn't make me cry, it simply can't be a 5/5 stars for me. and the way i write these books is i write what i as a reader would want to read. you guys always comment 'you love breaking our hearts, don't you?' and the truth is yes! i do! if i've made you cry, then i know i've written a good story.

that all being said, i love aspen bellator with my entire being. i am so attached to her, i have self-projected myself into her a ridiculous amount, and writing her death was very very hard for me. however, ever since i started writing book 1, i knew that this series would end with her dying to save stiles' life— it was always the plan, it's been the plan for 2+ years.

if you're reading this and you've made it this far— you have no idea how grateful i am that you stuck with me for SIX BOOKS!!! i read every comment, and if it weren't for you guys constantly loving aspen and supporting my writing and begging for more— i wouldn't have made it this far.

i'm seventeen right now, going to university this september to study english + creative writing. when i first started writing this fanfiction, it was just for fun bc i was bored in lockdown with an unhealthy obsession with teen wolf and dylan o brien. but then along the way it started to become this way of helping me improve my writing ability, helped me prove to myself that i'm actually capable of writing good quality stories. to those of you that comment compliments on my writing (and i do read them all) I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! those comments are what make me confident enough to believe i'll actually be able to write and publish books when i'm older.

also about that whole self-projecting into aspen's character thing? her becoming a NY bestseller is my way of manifesting it for myself 🙏

my goal from the beginning going into this was to write a teen wolf fanfic series that isn't just a copy-out of the script with an extra character. my absolute favourite thing about this has been creating my own plots. the love square in season 1, the okami mythology, the chaseusse family, the new orleans secret, they've all been so ridiculously fun to come up with.

and then the plot of this book? i knew from the very beginning that if i made it to a book 6, set ten years after the show ended, that the villain would 100% be allison back from the dead somehow. but then the challenge was trying to figure out a way for allison to be alive that didn't involve the nogitsunes, because that felt cheap. and also coming up with a reason for her being a villain that didn't just completely erase the fact that she was aspen's best friend. so then i was watching the episode where theo injected the chimeras and was like 'wait a damn second', and suddenly i was setting up a plot point two books in advance. i stole bits and pieces from the tvd sire bond, like allison being grateful to theo because he brought her back to life, and then it was so fun to mix in some of the Revenant mythology and make it a whole new thing.

writing this 6th book has been the most fun out of them all. to some extent it didn't even feel like fanfiction anymore because all the plots, all the scenes, all the new original characters were all me. maybe that sounds cocky idk, but i do know that this book turned out thousands times better than one i could've written based on the movie. i've had this book planned for over a year, so even when the movie was announced, i was always going to write this version of where i think the characters ended up in the future as adults. and i personally love it, i hope you all do too.

even if you're still mad at me for the whole ending thing...

i just want to say the biggest thank you ever to all of you readers. the fact that you guys take time out of your day to read something i wrote is just crazy to me, and that there are so many of you. it's still as surreal to me now as it was two years ago when cross your mind first starting blowing up.

i love you all. so much. thank you for reading aspen's story, thank you for loving her as much as i do, and thank you for loving the story i've written.

i'm also highly curious which original plot has been you guys' favourite! okami, the chaseusses, new orleans, allison's sire bond villain arc— or another one which i haven't mentioned? my fav to write by far has been this book, but i wanna know what my readers favs have been :)

this series coming to an end truly is the end of an era— i'm nearly 18, i started writing this was i had just turned 15– i've basically been writing these books throughout most of my teen years. and now this series as ending just as i'm coming to the end of my teen years (not to be really deep and emotional) but that's just so crazy to me.

the end of an era:
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMYWX2q9n/

in a month from now, i'll be sitting my a-levels (which is stressing me the actual fuck out) which means i will be going M.I.A for a while— but i will be back in the summer: for exile!

until then, goodbye for now and i love you all so so much and again just THANK YOU for loving these books, i can't describe how much it means to me, that you've all given me the confidence to believe i actually have potential in being a writer.

rest in peace, aspen and ace <3

— ellie