22 - Guilt

"Guilt is probably the most painful companion of death."

Calm. I felt calm as the little blue haired girl ran around in front of me. She was showing me all of her toys. Each and everyone of them had a name. Though the names seemed to change everytime I asked which one's name was which.

I sat in the middle of Eris' room, on the circle blue rug as she showed off her favorite toy of them all. "And this one is Ava!" She exclaimed, showing me the rugged brown bunny I had given her on the day we met, "She's my favorite because you gave her to me!" she smiled, hugging onto it close to her chest.

"You have quite a collection." I joked, pointing towards the pile of toys that had formed next to me.

She nodded excitedly.

A yawn escaped my lips as I looked over all of her toys. "Well, they're all very cool. But it's getting late. How about you clean them up and we can watch a movie?" I questioned.

She looked like she was about to protest, but then she let out a big yawn. Pouting slightly she nodded in agreement with my words and started to pick up the toys.

Smiling, I stood up. Picking up a couple toys I set them into the toy chest before ruffling her hair, "I'll be in the living room when you're ready." With that I left the room, leaving the door cracked behind me.

Subconsciously I started picking up the living room. It was already pretty clean but something just felt off about it. A few minutes passed and I just gave up on trying to clean up. No matter what I did it just never settled well with me. Glancing over at the movies I started to skim through my options. Deciding on Zootopia or Rapunzel I pulled out the two movies and set them down on the end table so that Eri could pick which one she wanted to watch. Glancing at the time I noticed that it had been a lot longer than just a few minutes.

"Eri?" I called out. She should've been done by now. There was no response, "Eri?" I called out again, concern poked at me as once again I got no response.

"Eri?!" I exclaimed, walking over to her room. Dread washed over me as I noticed that the door was shut instead of cracked like how I had left it.

As I touched the doorknob, fear washed over me.

Tick... Tick...

Boom!

There was an explosion but no impact... I flew open the door to Eris bedroom. Only to be met with smoke. Walking into the room I glanced around to find that the walls were gone, black ash covered the ground and fell from above. Eris toys and bed were destroyed, the blue carpet was singed. Sitting on the floor with half its face singed off was the rugged brown bunny.

Suddenly an ear deafening scream caught my ear. Frantically I looked around for the source. "Eri?!" I exclaimed, searching around. The house was completely in ruins.

Splattered blood caught my eye coating the concrete. Shit. Shit. Shit! Dread washed over me as I searched desperately for the girl through the rubble, "Eri?!" I screamed out.

Another scream caught my ear, but it was muffled halfway through. Glancing up I watched as Eri flailed in the arms of one of Overhauls men. Not again. Not. Again! I screamed in my head as I raced over towards the kid.

"Drop her!" I screamed, launching towards the guy. Just as I went to grab Eri the guy vanished with Eri in his arms. "Wha- what...?!" I gasped out staring at where he was. Frantically I searched around for her again, "Eri?!" I screamed out pained.

I- she was right there... Where did she- She couldn't have- I- No... no, no, no!

"You promised you'd keep me safe." Eris' voice said in my head, except she sounded so... dead. "You promised I wouldn't go back to him."she stated as I searched around frantically for any figure in the smoke. My eyes stung as ash flew into them.