30 - The Trauma

The room was dark, other than the blue glow of a singular computer. A man sat in front of it with baggy eyes and messy black hair. He wore a pair of blue light glasses, and through them his eyes, while tired, alertly scanned the screen.

He yawned, rubbed his eyes, but continued to look at the screen afterwards. He couldn't go to sleep yet. Not after this lead he found. He was so close to finding out the true culprit behind-

And then his phone started to ring.

He glanced at it, raising a tired eyebrow at the caller. He picked up the phone, bringing it to his ear as he answered it.

"Hey Sora." He heard.

~~ April 30, 2019 ~~
~ Walmart ~
~~
~

"We forgot our luggage." Mei stated.

"I know." Hiro sighed. "But it's too late to go after it now."

Hiro and Mei stood in the clothes section. They loitered around, keeping an eye out to see if Mika had successfully followed them inside of the Walmart.

"I'm sorry about my sister." Mei said. "She doesn't know anything. Yanemi lied to her."

"Yeah..." Hiro kept glancing around him, nervously cracking his fingers and biting his lip.

"It'll be ok." Mei placed her hand on Hiro's arm. He had the lightest of twitches. "I won't let anything happen to you."

He looked at her cold, empty eyes.

"Anything." She emphasized.

Hiro just nodded in response. He took a couple glances around, but Mika was still not in sight. He let out a small sigh, knowing what they now had to do.

"We need to get out of here." Hiro stated. "Take a couple bus rides to another state. Then maybe we can get a flight to another end of America. Or somewhere else."

"And start all over again." Mei replied.

"Is that ok with you?" Hiro asked.

"Of course." Mei nodded. "I will do anything for you. And our future."

"Then let's get going. But we should first get some...disguises." Hiro stated.

"Disguises?" Mei wondered.

"Yeah." Hiro quickly grabbed a hat, a hoodie, and sunglasses. "If Mika is here and working under Yanemi, then Yanemi must be here. She wouldn't stay in Japan, waiting."

"How do you know?" Mei asked as she grabbed her own hat, hoodie, and sunglasses.

"Because she 'loves' me too much." Hiro replied.

The two of them walked to the front, keeping an eye out for Mika, Yanemi, and anything else which may have been suspicious. They got into a line, placing their items on the conveyor belt for the cashier to check them out.

All Hiro could think about was that message, the one in the box.

I KNOW EVERYTHING

Why send that right before Mika arrived? What was the point of it? Was it a warning? Was it supposed to come sooner? Did it have any correspondence with Mika at all?

Obviously the person knew that something was off with "James" and "Kylie", even if they didn't know Hiro's full story. But anybody knowing anything was dangerous. The only reason he told that girl was because he felt he owed it to Sora.

And to get her away sooner.

Who could it be? Not Mei. Probably not Mika either, considering the contents of the package was a photo. Wasn't Saki, considering she just decided to approach Hiro himself instead of any cryptic, threatening, messages.