Part 32: Mia

Playlist: Jealous by Nick Jonas, Is There Somewhere by Halsey, I Knew You Were Trouble by Taylor Swift, Keep Us Together by Jessie J, Fallout by Marianas Trench, Pieces by Sum 41, Photograph by Ed Sheeran, Bad Blood by Taylor Swift, Better than Revenge by Taylor Swift, I'm a Mess by Ed Sheeran, Don't by Ed Sheeran

(flashback)

The soothing and soft sound of the waves kept pouring in as the sun continued to set over the horizon spilling over the water and sky in rays of yellows and oranges. I sat on the edge of the life guard post, hands gripping onto the wooden frame as I watched the waves come and go. I heard Ashton's loud footsteps as he came up the ramp and made his way to me, placing a red cup filled with beer from the bonfire that was happening just a few feet away.

We hadn't even been invited, didn't know anyone there and yet he had still managed to get us drinks. That was something I would never understand. That charisma and openness he had when it came to strangers. He was so easy to trust, so easy to open up to. It always felt as if in some way you'd always known him, no matter if it was for a few hours or for days now. And yet...you always wanted to know more.

"So favorite color?" I asked as he sat down beside me, his body completely facing mine.

"Hadn't you asked this already?" He asked with a smirk before he raised the red cup to his lips.

"I don't remember." I said with a shrug, doing the same with my drink.

"Fair enough." He said with a chuckle before he answered the question. "Red. And I know yours is purple but not any purple that lavender color you have everything you own in." He teased.

"Everything I own is not lavender!" I countered, giving him a side glance but smiling anyways. He always made me smile.

"You haven't done a great job at proving me otherwise." He told me with a smile before his brows furrowed as he thought of a question. "What's your favorite place you've ever been to?"

"Oh... That one is hard. I haven't really traveled much but..." I murmured, pursing my lips as I thought. "There is this lake near my house. I've been visiting it since I was younger, especially in the summer. My mom had to beg me not to go as I was older because all I ever wanted to do was hang out there with my friends and throw bonfires. Even if there wasn't a party going on I would walk there and simply just sit there."

"Sounds like a lovely place."

"It's really beautiful."

"Maybe I'll get to see it someday." He said absentmindedly but just the thought of showing Ashton a place so close to my past, made my heart beat quickly inside my chest.

"Maybe." I mimicked with a smile. "Did you do any sports when you were younger?"

"I did, yes. I used to swim." He answered, his eyes coming back to look at me. "I am 99 percent sure you've done none." He continued to tease me.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, feigning being hurt by his assumption but it seemed like your expression only made him laugh louder; the type of laugh that always got his eyes brightening up with joy. "Must you know I used to dance...when I was really young." I said, only making him laugh louder.

"Okay, moving on..." He chuckled, taking another sip of his drink. "Dream concert to go to?"

"Why must you always give me such hard questions?" I whined, pursing my lips as I began thinking of my answer. My eyes fixated on the Santa Monica pier, all lit up and the Ferris wheel turning slowly.

"Are you choosing not to answer?" He asked her with a smirk on his lips.

"Fat chance Irwin. You won't win this game that easy." I told him, glaring at him as I focused my eyes back on him. The smile on his face making me smile as well, big and bright. "The Script." I simply told him.