Part 14: Mia

Playlist: One by Ed Sheeran, Amnesia by 5 Seconds of Summer, All too Well by Taylor Swift, I Almost Do by Taylor Swift, Half a Heart by One Direction, Why by Secondhand Serenade, Over and Over by 5 Seconds of Summer, One Thing is For Sure by The Spill Canvas

“Flight 1015 to Washington is now boarding all passengers in Gate 8.” The loud speakers at the airport called out. I had been sitting here for the last 3 hours, waiting for my flight. And if you’ve ever spent more than an hour waiting at an airport you’d know that it isn’t very fun.

The areas near the charging stations packed by people trying to charge their electronics before their flight. You’d see people laying down and sleeping; on the floor, on the seats, over their luggage… People could fall asleep absolutely everywhere.

Paper coffee cups would be passing by back and forth through the aisles, being held tightly by the idiots that paid for an over prized coffee. You’d see couples, young and old. You’d see children throwing tantrums; you’d see them laughing or playing or maybe taking a nap in their parent’s arms. You’d see the business men walking around, talking too loudly into their phones. You’d hear flight after flight being called.

I truly hated airports…

The only reason I was in one was because my parents had insisted that I shouldn’t drive all the way back to Washington, not when they had to relocate my car to New York anyway. In some ways I was glad, I had barely had any sleep in the last few days and just the thought of driving for hours without end again made me sick. I needed a short trip home; I wanted to be in my bed as soon as possible. I wanted to be as far away from California as soon as possible…

“Ready to go, munchkin?” Heather asked as she got up from her seat next to her, grabbing her backpack from the floor. I looked up at her and nodded before getting up.

I had barely said a word since my birthday. Nobody had forced me too, they all had this silent understanding that I wasn’t in the mood. I wasn’t scolded when I didn’t say anything during our goodbye or even when I skipped out on every single one of the last day activities in California. I had no reason to skip anymore, no reason to be worried that I would see him again. I knew he wasn’t here anymore, I knew I finally could go out without worrying about bumping into him but I just couldn’t get out of bed. Our last conversation echoed in my head, at least the bits and pieces I did remember.

I spent most of my flight gazing out the window, lost to my thoughts. My mind coming and going as the minutes and hours passed. Sleep didn’t come; my eyes were open the whole time. My mind did doze off giving me small moments of peace and quiet inside of it; but even then time passed incredibly slowly and the time for our landing didn’t come quickly enough.

And just like that I was back in an airport, surrounded by families being reunited; by the excitement of visitors. I was surrounded by lovers holding each other as if they never wanted to let go again. Life and energy buzzed all around me as the world kept revolving but I just couldn’t feel anything. I felt drained… I had left all of me in California and I had no idea how to get her back.

My parents talked and they held me. My mother cried. My father smiled. Heather said goodbye.

My body moved on its own accord, I said things I couldn’t remember. I was in the car and my mom continued to talk, excitement chatter. She wanted to hear stories, see pictures. She asked what I wanted for dinner. Talked about how the woman in her book club were so excited about me coming back home. She mentioned New York…

I pretended to yawn and she left me alone…

When we were home, my dad helped me take all of my things up to my room. My mother said I should get some rest. They asked if I needed anything. They hugged me tightly once again and just like that the door closed… Silence chilling all of me like numbness as my body slumped onto the edge of my bed.

Boxes were stacked in the corner of my room, a lot of my things already packed away but I couldn’t feel excited about that. My heart didn’t leap with emotions or nerves… The girl that dreamed about the city lights and the buzz wasn’t there anymore, and if she was… She didn’t feel the same way about everything.

I picked up the envelopes that lay next to me with papers for NYU. Dates for orientation, information about my dorm… But the only thing that seemed alluring about New York right now was that it was as far away from the West Coast as I could get.

I crumbled them up and tossed them into my backpack before pulling the covers and slipping inside. The warmth and familiarity of my bed engulfing me; I could smell the fresh breeze fabric softener that was fading on the sheets. The pictures of senior year staring at me from the wall.

It was then that tears stung my eyes and began to fall. I couldn’t make them stop and I didn’t want to. I cried for every single night I spent in his arms, I cried for every single kiss I let him take. I cried for every touch and every word shared between us. I cried because of my broken heart. I just cried and cried until sleep finally made me stop.

(Author's Note: I am terribly sorry that I have not updated in a while. Inspiration just hadn't struck and I have a lot on my plate right now. I'm sorry this chapter isn't as long as I would of wanted it to be but I will try to update real soon!! I am working on some other chapters at the moment but I wanted to publish something for everyone that has taken the time to read my story. Thank you so much! Remember to vote and comment. <3)