Part 3: Mia

When I arrived back to my hotel room, everyone was still sleeping, unaware of everything that had happened. My friend’s had probably stayed up late talking about how wonderful the concert must have been or watching some cheesy movie they had found while channel surfing.

For a second, I wish I would have stayed in last night instead of answering his call.

There was no use though, my subconscious told me as I slipped onto bed and lay over the cool covers. My hands resting gently over my abdomen because no matter how tired I felt I knew sleep would not come. I couldn’t even stop thinking.

My mind kept going back to the soft kisses against my neck and the heated touch of his hands. I could almost swear that I could feel him touching me still, the burning memory bringing back goose bumps to my skin. How could I have let it get so far?

(FLASHBACK)

“Can you please turn it up, Mia! I love this song!” Heather screamed; her hands in the air as the sound of guitar and drums began to fill the air around us. I grinned at my best friend as I reached over and turned on the stereo as loudly as I would dare because I knew very well that pretty soon she would start yelling out lyrics at a totally different rhythm that didn’t match the song.

This was it, that infinite moment after graduation when the whole world was in front of us. We had spent months convincing our parents to let us take this road trip; driving the whole way from Washington to California was a big step to take by ourselves. But it couldn’t be as far fetch as going to New York City for University.

We had no plans and no secret agendas. We had simply packed up a bag and hit the road, driving none stop for hours except for necessary bathroom and eating breaks. Now as the salty air of the California beaches hit my face, I knew it had all been worth it.

“Did you get Sydney’s address programmed in your phone?” I asked her interrupting her pretend guitar solo. I was really going to miss her…

“Of course I did… I think!” She said after staring at me for a long moment before she began to fish her phone into her bag. I rolled my eyes in amusement as I turned down the radio again and pulled into a gasoline station.

“While you do that, it is time to fill in the tank again… Do you want anything?” I asked as I opened the door and stepped out.

“Iced tea, please!” She called out as I walked away, still ferociously looking for her phone among the large amount of snack wrappers and lipsticks she had stored in her purse.

The gas station was mostly empty, as I headed towards the fridge section of the mini market. Behind the fogged up glass was a large selection of beers and energy drinks so it took me a while to find Lemon tea for Heather and some peach tea for herself.

I felt his presence behind me before I was really able to see him, his hand reaching around me toward the peach tea the same moment mine was.

The soft brush of our hands feeling like static had gone between us making us both pull back and face each other. He was taller than me, which made him look down to me with two orbs that made me almost forget how to breathe. I couldn't decipher if they were brown or green but the longer I stared into them, the less it mattered what color they were.

“I’m sorry, you take it.” I said quickly, taking a step to the side. I really didn’t want to cause a scene over some peach tea, even if it was the last one and I had been here first.

“I should be the one apologizing.” He said quickly, his accent thick. Australian, maybe? He grabbed the peach tea and offered it to me. “Peace offering?” He said, making me giggle. I actually giggled because of something a stranger said.

“Thank you,” I said, hugging it to my chest along with the chips and the other tea I was already holding. It was already getting awkward as we looked at each other in silence, which was making me nervous because he was handsome. Really handsome.

“I’m Ashton,” he called out, following me as I headed to the register to pay for our snacks and some gas. I pushed a strand of hair behind my ear after I handed the money to the man behind the counter and looked back at the boy. Ashton…

“I’m Mia.” I introduced myself but left before we said anything else. I hurried to the car, handing the bag to Heather as she proudly held up her phone.

“What took you so long?” Heather asked with a confused look already reaching for her tea as I looked back to the store to realize that Ashton wasn’t there anymore. He must have left as well.

“Nothing,” I murmured quietly as I grabbed the pump to fill up our car.

(Author's note: Hey guys! I will continue to update this as I write the chapters. I am still really nervous about what people are going to think but I hope everyone is liking it so far! Please vote and leave comments with feedback! <3)