Chapter 48

It didn't feel right to lie to Ms. Rose, but I had no other choice. I told her I was only there visiting and that I am now leaving in Russia because I found someone. Well, it wasn't entirely a lie, but when she asked about my parents and what they do, I had to lie.

There were only a few girls around the room because the rest didn't feel comfortable around a stranger which was understandable. The ones that stayed just stayed silent, staring at me. I think they feel somehow drawn to me. That's one of the effects of being a lycan.

Aaron and Nick were waiting outside because their presence had the girls terrified. I hated that human cruelty did this to them.

When I gave them the stuffed animals they were really happy. It was the only moment I got to see their faces light up with a smile when was time to pick their stuffed animal. I was just so happy that I could do this small thing for them. Hopefully, they will soon be reunited with their families.

Ms. Rose said they got new big donations and the organization is doing great. They got arrested a group of criminals that were trafficking this group of girls and it was a huge win for them. The only thing I care about is that now they can finally breathe in peace, not living in fear anymore.

I stayed not too long because I didn't want to cause stress to the girls.

I say goodbye promising to donate money to help the organization with the investigation and tracking of these illegal auctions and Ms. Rose started crying again in relief and gratitude. I was just happy I could help save a few lives. No one deserves to go through what those girls went through.

Now Aaron was driving me to the cemetery, the whole ride I have my heart stuck in my throat. I need to do this. No. I want to do this, but I was so terrified. The pain I felt when they left me was too great, and I didn't want to face the pain alone. I thought the next time I'd come to visit them, I would do it with Alec by my side, but Alec wasn't here with me, and that fact hurts so much.

Standing at the front gate of the cemetery, I couldn't seem to move. They were waiting for me inside, all these months... alone, with no one to leave them flowers. I feel too ashamed to face them. It feels like I run away after my adoptive dad's death, but it wasn't like that.

What if they feel like I betrayed them? That I replaced them once I got my real family back?

My lower lip trembles and I bit hard on it, forcing the tears back.

"Riley? Is that you?!"

I look up to see, Rachel, an old classmate. She grins when our eyes connected and start walking toward me with a guy by his side.

She looked the same, but at the same time, I could tell she wasn't eighteen anymore. Her hair was long and her face seemed more defined. She was nice, and kept to herself and her group of friends.

I walk awkwardly toward her.

"Hi, Rachel. What are you doing here?" I ask, the first thing coming to my mind.

She smiled and gives me an air kiss and then proceeds to introduce her boyfriend, Trent. I just lift my hand and say hi.

"I came to visit my brother," she says with a sad smile. My expression tenses. I remember her brother having cancer, but when we graduated, she shared the news her brother beat cancer. My expression seemed to say everything because she continues. "Cancer struck again a few months after graduation".

My heart aches for her.

"I'm so sorry, Rachel, truly"

I feel the tears threatening to spill. Death was a delicate subject for me, because my mind would always wander to my adoptive parents and how I had so little time with them.

"Thanks," she says and I catch her boyfriend squeezing her into him in reassurance. "Were you on your way in?"

"Uh..." I mumble, fidgeting with my hands. "My adoptive parents are in there" I say, feeling like the least I could do is be honest with her.

"I'm sorry, Riley. I know how much you cared for them"

I smile with gratitude. Rachel was a breath of fresh air among the other classmates in school that was either idiots or bullies. So it was safer to keep to myself those days

"Anyway... Are you here for the classmates' reunion? We meet tonight at school"

I had no idea that there was a school reunion. I don't keep up with school news. I couldn't give a fuck, to be honest. But I guess any distraction is welcome.

"Sure, I'll go"

"That's great! See you tonight!" she kisses me again as a goodbye and walks away.

***

I didn't bring anything special to wear that would work for tonight's reunion so I went and bought a whole new outfit, which helped me keep my mind elsewhere.

When it was time to head over to my old school, I let Aaron drive me, because I knew if I walk, I would have plenty of time to think and ponder about my current situation.

Once I hopped out of the car, I look at the old red brick building. It looked the same, but I could see they added new spaces and there were picnic tables scattered around.

The reunion was happening in the gym, and when I arrived, everything was very well decorated. A DJ on the far corner, and tables posted against one wall with food and drinks. There was also four cork board with various pictures of everyone from our generation.

The were a lot of my old classmates standing in groups talking animatedly, others were sitting on the bleachers and some were making out in some dark corner.

I breathe in and start making my way in, hoping my old classmates grew up and don't bother me. When I spot Rachel with her boyfriend, I approach her, knowing it was the safest choice so far.

She turns when I say her name out loud and her smile widens when she sees me. A warm feeling settled in my stomach. It was always nice to see someone get happy when seeing you.

"Riley! You made it!"

We hug and I kiss her boyfriend's cheek. I say hi with a wave to the rest of the group, not really feeling comfortable greeting them with a kiss because I don't really remember them much. Besides, it would be a pain in the ass to greet every single one in here with a kiss.

Hell no.

I knew this wasn't going to be much fun because I didn't really like talking with strangers, I was always more of a loner and it was always hard for me to approach people, but for the sake of my nonexistent social life, I made sure to listen to everyone in the group and nod like I give a shit about what they were talking about.

"I heard that Jared was found in bed with his wife's sister!" gushed Vicky giggling and the rest of the group gasped.

Well, what a horrible human being. But couldn't really enjoy his misery cuz I barely cross paths with that guy. Though it didn't surprise me. He was the captain of the football team and married his high school sweetheart.

Not much of a sweetheart love it seems.

"I'm going to get a drink" I say, excusing myself from the group.

Just one more hour and I leave, I swear.

I pour some punch into a red plastic cup and once I taste it, I knew someone put alcohol in it. Wasn't surprised, to be honest. These days, people couldn't handle a gathering without alcohol in between.

"Look who we have here"

I hear that pitched voice behind me and a sigh leaves my lips. I thought everything was going smoothly so far. I guess I was wrong for being too hopeful.