Chapter 5

The day of the incident

This was my first time leaving Europe and was excited. United States seemed huge from the maps I'd seen and couldn't wait to meet new people and run freely on new planes. It felt as if I was going to an alien place.

As a werewolf, I lived secluded from the human world with my family and the pack, which made me feel a little bit isolated. I wanted to travel, I wanted to explore the lands around the world, I wanted an adventure, but my parents were very protective of me as the youngest sibling and their only daughter.

My father never stopped reminding me that humans were evil creatures when it comes to new and unexplored things, and if they knew about us, we would become tortured lab rats. That scared me enough to ease my hunger for new and unknown things. But now, I got to convince my father to let me go with them on this alpha business trip, because I thought I needed to know how things worked in a pack, even though I would never lead a pack myself. It wasn't a job that thrilled me. Besides, I have three older brothers so there was no chance for me to inherit the pack.

He accepted me tagging along, but I was to be by his or my older brother's side at all cost. Ugh, sometimes they made me feel as if I was a six-year-old instead of a twelve-year-old. I wanted to be treated as an adult, or something like that, but my mother kept saying I needed to start acting responsible for that, starting with my grades at school.

I guess I was screwed in that matter. I was a Gemini, I couldn't stay still for so long and I get bored easily. Besides, I wanted to be out there, in nature, living life, not solving useless maths problems I would never going to use in my life. Anyway, I wasn't planning on going to college after graduating high school, I felt that would only limit my experiences. Having spent my whole life in the same place, I felt like I had little time to enjoy things, and studying a career would make that time even more little.

***

"Stay by my side at all cost, and never go to the forest alone, I've been told that there's been an increase of rouge sighting, and they could attack at any moment. Did I make myself clear?" says my father, again. How am I supposed to run freely now? The adults here were such pussies.

I growl as a response while Mark, my dad's beta, parked the car outside the packhouse of this American pack.

"Don't growl at me, young lady" he warns right before leaving the car to go to the pack's alpha.

He was always on edge when we were out of our pack's territory and knew he couldn't keep an eye on me at all times.

Noah nudges me to get out of the car and I do annoyed. One day, they will regret treating me like this. I felt like that bag of groceries no one wanted to carry because it was too heavy or had things that smelled awful. I just wanted to be appreciated. Was that too much to ask?

The alpha of the pack greets us and one woman that seemed to be a maid, leads us to the guest rooms. I got a whole room all to myself, for which I was grateful. I needed some alone time.

Once I unpacked the little things I brought for our short visit, I leave the room closing the door behind me and start heading to the stairs, walking the path that the maid took us when guiding us to our rooms.

Once downstairs I look around, feeling a little bit shy. I didn't feel comfortable being in a place that wasn't mine, a place that belonged to someone I didn't know. I didn't even know if I was allowed to walk around the house.

"Can I help you?"

I jump in my place at the unknown voice coming behind me. I turn and make myself smaller, feeling intimidated by the large man that was standing in front of me.