Chapter 43

ALEC'S POV:

While my father talked about politics relating to the kingdom of Lycans and werewolves and then talked about when he and mom made their mating ceremony, my mind was elsewhere. 

I know Riley said it was nothing, that she was alright, but I couldn't stop my mind from wandering. It scared me when I heard her throw up in the bathroom. She looked exhausted. I've never seen her like that. Right now all I wanted to do was lay down with her in my arms, making sure she was alright, but I had to meet with my father.

"Alright, Alec. What's the matter? It's clear that I've been talking to the wall this whole time."

I blink a couple of times and look up at him. He was scowling at me in frustration.

"Uh..." I mumble, a little lost. "You were saying?" I throw my most charming smile at him. It only makes him angrier.

Usually, he doesn't have to repeat himself because I'm always attentive to what he says, but today is an exception.

"I asked what is it with you? Your mind is not here with me"

I bite my lip, wondering if I should tell him. But maybe mother was the same?

"I caught her throwing up right before meeting you, and told me it wasn't the first time" I confess, running my hand through my messy hair.

My father opened his mouth to talk but the banging sound of the door hitting the wall stopped him. We both turned our heads, puzzled as to what caused that kind of disturbance.

"Oh my god!" my mom yells excitedly. "I'm going to have a grandchild!" she chimes walking into the office.

"She can't be pregnant, mom," I say, bursting her bubble. "I'd know".

"Don't presume anything before time, sweetheart" adds my father sending her a serious glare.

"It must be that!" she insists. "She didn't have breakfast either. It must have been nausea!" she reminds me and does little jumps.

Her words got my heart beating fast. That can't be true, is it? I would know. It's hard for a lycan to conceive. It's hard for a lycan to get pregnant unless they intend to.

But Riley... pregnant?

I don't know how to feel, to be honest, because I didn't want to get my hopes up. But imagining Riley's belly round with our child has my lycan going wild in my head.

"She... S-She said it was because the wedding made her nervous" I try to explain, my mind reeling.

"Excuses!" yells my mom with a smile so big it threatened to split her face in two.

"I guess there's only one way to find out..." mutters my father.

I jump from the chair I was sitting on and walk in wide strides toward where Riley would be training. I was trying hard to focus and keep my mind clear, but my lycan wasn't helping, sending pictures of Riley and me with a little girl or little boy. It made my insides all mushy, sending a pleasant shudder all over my body.

When I got to our part of the castle, I walk further into the garden and then into a clearing in the woods where the grass was barely alive of how much we use the space.

Then, in a circle, Riley and Rebecka were fighting. Rebecka has Riley in a choke hold, but my mate wasn't giving up, twisting Rebecka's arm. Rebecka growls and punches her in the stomach. I see Riley wincing, softening the grip she had on Rebecka, giving her opponent the perfect opportunity to take her down to the floor, while Riley was wheezing to get some air into her lungs.