What Have You Done?

Corey rings the door bell as I walk up to the front steps. The door opens, revealing a well-dressed woman. I had a feeling this kid was going to act like a spoiled brat. Most did.

"Corey, you are a life saver."

"Hi."

"How have you been? Come on in. Wait, who are you?"

The lady's smile disappeared once she saw me.

"I'm Y/n. I hope you don't mind me. I'm here with Corey to help watch your kid."

"Sure, I could always use extra help."

Everyone knew who I was. How could she not? Unless she was pretending. The one thing Corey never held against me was when he heard what I did. He treated me like a normal person. And I was thankful I found a person that could see me for who I was now and not before.

I walked beside Corey as we entered the house.

"Roger! Corey's here!"

The lady walked off, supposedly calling for her son. To the right of the foyer was a guy in a room playing the piano. Corey waved over to him, but he didn't give us one glance.

"I'm sorry this is last minute, but my friend got a stomach bug and literally just called me."

"It's okay."

"It's Rodger's company Halloween party, and I could care less, but... Roger!"

I guess that wasn't the kid but the husband.

Rodger yelled out from the piano room.

"I hope he's better at childcare than he is at yard work."

Corey walked over to the room where Rodger was.

"You know, next spring you should consider some perennials. Hydrangeas could really balance out that dogwood."

The lady walked over to the table beside Jeremy and grabbed something.

"Saving for college? Where did you say you're going?"

"Oh, I'm applying to a few different engineering programs. Just saving money this year so I can go next fall."

She walked past me to the stairs, looking up.

"Jeremy, the sitter,'s here! Jeremy!?"

There was no response from the kid. All of a sudden, someone jumps out, scaring the lady. She lets out a scream and laughs. I was behind them with Corey.

"Jeremy!"

He was wearing a werewolf mask.

"Ah! You! I'm going to get you!"

She chases Jeremy into the living room. Then the kid takes his mask off and flops on the couch. Corey and I were standing in the living room entrance. The boy takes a paper airplane and throws it at me.

"Good shot, little dude."

Roger walks in from behind me and goes over to Jeremy.

"Are you going to be good for Mr. Corey and this pretty lady?"

Jeremy nods his head.

"Hey, Y/n, Corey, can I talk to you both for a second?"

"Sure"

Corey nods his head, and we both follow her out into the foyer. Roger comes over to us.

"I'm going to put the candy on the porch. Trick-or-treat kids can help themselves. "