Time Flies

HaddonField, Illinois, Halloween night. Ring, ring, ring. Looking down at my phone, I was getting a call from Corey, my best friend. We met at a pub a year ago and haven't been apart since. Laurie also whispered jokes about how we fit so well together. But, I always shrugged it off, saying that Corey and I were just friends. Answering my phone, Corey screamed on the other end.

"Hey, Y/n! I need you tonight."

"For what? You know I'm busy."

"I'm babysitting a kid and I want you to come with me."

"Fine. You know, I could never say no to you."

"Sweet. I'll be there in 10 minutes."

Sighing, I left my bed room and walked down the stairs into the living room. Laurie was on the couch watching TV. Now, why she wasn't keeping an eye on the cake in the oven is a mystery. Having the house catch on fire was just what we needed. Going into the kitchen, I take the cake out of the oven. It looked a little overdone. But, that was okay.

"Laurie! I told you to watch the cake."

"I'm sorry, Y/n! I forgot."

Setting the pan on top of the oven I go sit on the couch with Laurie in the living room. Taking one look at her, she gave me a smile.

"You know, I forgive you completely. It wasn't your fault. He made you do it."

"Mhmm. I just can't stop thinking about it."

Four years ago, when I was released from the hospital, I was put into questioning by the police. Because word got out that I helped Michael kill Tommy's gang. When Laurie found out, she wasn't mad at all. It was really surprising because I thought she was going to yell at me. But she never did. Laurie was super calm about the whole thing. Using my great lying techniques, I've convinced her that Michael made me help him, and that I had no choice. Before I told her that, she said I was brainwashed by him. The police let me go a day later, and I went back home to pack all my things. Laurie had bought a new home. A family home that was normal. Where we could live a simple life without being afraid anymore. She offered to let me live with her, and I agreed. My old house was put off sale. No one was allowed to buy it anymore or enter the property. Nobody ever knew I was the one that killed Allyson or let Michael kill Karen. That was better off being forgotten. What happened in the past stays in the past.

It took a couple of days to get comfortable in the new house. This didn't feel right. My other place was better because it was a part of Michael. Suddenly, I found my whole days blending together to create one endless loop. Now I have nothing left of him. Well, nothing physical. He's still here though. In some way. In some thought. In some memory and feeling. Because I could never go a day without him. I gave a lot of thought to what I did in the previous years. And nothings changed. I felt no remorse and no sympathy for all the lives I took. Because when you love someone so much, you will do anything for that person.

Laurie kept a picture of Karen on the wall beside the door. I always catch her staring at it. She didn't have anything of Allyson out. I thought that was very strange. My job working at the mental hospital quickly ended the day after moving in with Laurie. I haven't shown up to work for a week, and I got a call from the new boss saying that I was fired. That didn't bother me at all because I didn't want to work in that shitty place anymore. Laurie said that getting a new job should be the least of my worries. That, I could live there without paying. I didn't listen and filled out job applications anyway. Now, I'm an assistant nurse working at a actual hospital. I got the job about a month ago. It kept me occupied with no insane work hours and kept my thoughts at bay. This new job was good for me.

"Corey asked me to baby sit a kid with him."

"And I'm guessing you said yes?"

"You know me very well. Will you be okay here?"

"Yes, hun. I'll frost and decorate the cake we were supposed to do together. "

"That can be done anytime. I won't be gone for long. Wait for me."

"Okay. Have fun with Corey. Don't get into any mischief. "

"Oh quit it Laurie. Nothing is going on between us."

"I see the way he looks at you."

"We are just friends. He looks at me like a friend!"

"Yeah, right. Is Corey coming to get you?"

"You know, he can't. He only owns a bike. I'm the one doing the driving. "

Moments later, we hear a knock on the door. I get up off the couch and go open it.

"Hey, Are you ready?"

"Yep, let me grab my jacket and keys."

I grabbed my jacket off the coat rack and got my keys that were lying on the counter.

"If you need anything, call me!"

"Will do, Y/n."

I shut the door behind me. Corey was already waiting at the passenger side.

"One day you will get a better ride."

"When I do, then I can drive you around."

I unlock the car and Corey and I get in.

"So where are we going?"

"Just drive. I'll tell you which turns to make."

Corey was a nice kid. That was surprising because he lived in a shitty home with horrible parents. Maybe I will surprise him at his work with a new ride. I'm sure Corey would love a motorcycle. Kids littered the streets, trick or treating as I drove. It was slightly hard to drive. Parents should be keeping their children off the street.

"Thank you for coming with me tonight."

"Sure, Corey. It's better babysitting with a friend anyway."

"Pull into this driveway here."

I pulled into the driveway Corey pointed to. Damn. This was a huge, fancy house.

"They must be paying you a lot."

"That's why I agreed to watch their kid."

Turning my car off, Corey gets out of my car and heads to the front door. Time flew by so fast. I never imagined my life would get better after my killing spree with Michael. But it did. And here I stood at the front of an exequite house about to babysit.