Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twenty

• Dedicated to AJ Perez

This chapter is Dedicated to AJ Perez who died today because of a vehicular accident. May he rest in peace. He's such a good actor and he's still very young... ahai... =(

WE LOVE YOU AJ! =)

Chapter Twenty

It’s hard to go on loving someone who could never be yours. It’s harder when the person you love doesn’t feel the same way. But it’s much harder when the person you love, only loves you for fun.

Fate and Destiny. Two words sharing two unlikely vowels with different spelling yet leading to one thing-- Love. I hate to admit this but these two words kept on kicking its way to my head and it really freaks me out. Ever since I gave up on Cupid before I never believed in fate and destiny anymore—even love. For me it’s just lame to believe in these kinds of stuffs especially when no one gives you the best idea of it. I have always loved people but never in my life have I received the favor back.

Sometimes I thought what it would be like to have someone hold your hand and swing it back and forth while you’re walking; someone to wipe your tears when you cry; and maybe someone to make you laugh when you feel so down. I guess I would never experience those. It’s not sadness or fear that is hard when you’re alone. It’s the realization that in the many billion of people in this world, not even one fought to be with you.

***

The day of the prom finally arrived and mostly people would get cranky again to go to salons and parlors most especially the girls. While my sister, even though she had this sprain of hers and braces all over her spine she still managed and forced herself to go to the salon and beautify herself. My mom absolutely went with her for fear that she might do something “ridiculous” again. Mean while I just busied myself putting my dress in a headless mannequin and then I cooked some cookies like there’s no upcoming prom.

“Why the hell are you here? You should be at the parlor!” Phoebe gushed as she saw me eating in the counter.

I licked my hands and I stared up at her like she doesn’t have the right to nag me. “Why? I was just eating.”

“That’s disgusting!” she grossed setting a grimace on her face. “You should get ready by now.”

I frowned at the thought of shoving in my dress. “Can I do it later? I still want to sleep.”

“Do you want Andrew to go ahead to prom without a partner? That would be embarrassing, Psyche. And I won’t let that happen especially to Andrew.” She moved directly to me and she grabbed my arm. “Come along—it’s show time!”

“Great- this is your show, this is your time; it’s Showtime!” I mimicked the TV show host giving the last phrase a little dainty tone.

Phoebe rolled her eyes. “Stop it, Psyche. We are going to get you ready and I am serious.”

My eyebrows met. “We?”

“Me; myself; and I.” she sang and she grinned at me.

“Wow. You have a lot of options.” I said as I raised both of my hands.

I couldn’t care less with the make-up thing and what else that my sister wants to do with me. But when Phoebe says she’s serious, she really means it. I trusted her all the way to do her part since she has this physical development thing and I don’t know why she even took a law major when she wanted fine arts. Oh well, I just told her that I wanted myself to look normal—natural I mean.

“You know, not that I mean to pry, sis but I really thought you and Cupid are going together.” She said as she brushed my hair up.

I sighed. “Cupid and I are way over and after our birthday I would never want to have a connection with him anymore.”