50.

As we stood after the final whistle waiting on confirmation if we had made it to the quarterfinals I saw our kitmans face widen. "They won 2-0. We did it" he shouted and we all started jumping around cheering, "I can't believe it" I said as I jumped around with Erin.

Australia beat us 2-0 but if we had the chance to go threw Germany had to draw, lose or only win 2-0 for us to go through on goal difference. Luckily for us that happened and by one goal, we are in the quarters.

Our group. Group c.

1. Australia w-3, goal difference 10
2. Scotland w-1, d-1, goal difference 1
3. Germany w-1,d-1, goal difference 0
4. Portugal 0w, 3l, goal difference -9

I was pulled over for an interview for the bbc as I was celebrating with the team. I calmed myself down and walked over.

"How does it feel to be in the quarterfinals of the women's fifa World Cup."

"It's a dream. These moments is what you dream of as a child, representing your country on the biggest stage possible. I can't believe we've done it to be honest"

"You have won 2 player of the matches so far, against Portugal and Germany but we're not done yet. You have been named player of the match for a third time. You are now the only player to have ever won every potm award in the group stages. At 21 years old, how have you done that"

"I don't even know. These are dreams becoming reality. It's these girls who have helped me here. This whole squad have played an absolute massive role in this campaign, me collecting these awards is just showing how good this squad is, they're the ones who have won this not me. I couldn't do it without them."

"You have managed to score 3 goals in 3 games and beat Germany to a quarterfinal place. That is extraordinary, how does it feel?"

"I can't put into words, everyone knows Germany and Australia were favourites to go through in this group. There is no hiding that but what we've done shows that hard work , determination and tactics will lead you to great things. I'm only scoring because the girls behind me have done their job, it's incredible"

"You mentioned tactics and I can't help but wonder what you mean by that?"

"Well we study these teams for long hard hours, without end. The staff behind the scenes deserve lots of credit for this. They find ways to keep them out or break their attack. They find ways to help us score goals, wether it's set pieces or a routine during the game. They're the ones who have won us a quarterfinal spot"

"That's incredible, thank you Bella it was a pleasure to speak to you. Here's your potm award, have a great night"

"Thank you, thanks a lot"

As I go into the changing room the girls are still buzzing and so we all still should be. The music was blaring as we got changed, but there was one song that came on. It reminded me of me and Leah's 1 year anniversary. 'Love will tear us apart again' everyone sang and I smiled. I jumped up onto the table with nicdoc and videoed us singing it before switching the camera to everyone else.
When the song finished I sent it to Leah she replied immediately, your crazy, congratulations mi amor 😍 I replied back to her, a good crazy 😝

***

England cruised though their group and had just played Norway in the quarter beating them 4-0 to advance to the semis. I was happy for Leah of course but I felt bad for Ingrid, she's my friend and I will always want her to do well.

"Ready to play Barca minus Bella tomorrow" Erin said with a laugh, "born ready" I replied back laughing along with her. There was that many Spanish barca players we called them Barca minus Bella.

Tomorrow came fast and I was lined up in the tunnel waiting on Spain to arrive, my nerves were definitely there but not as much as I thought they would be. As Spain lined up beside us I saw all my club teammates, I shared a smile with them before focusing back onto the game.

The first half we didn't play good but we didn't play bad, it was 1-0 Spain and alexia scored a penalty which nicdoc gave away. It was unfortunate because she was so close the ball but Alecia got there first and went down from little contact. I was trying hard hard as I could, creating chances, making runs. It just wouldn't click.

The second half we didn't start great, Spain got an early second goal which killed us. The last 10 minutes we started to create more chances but it wasn't enough. We got beat 2-0. I fell to my knees when the final whistle had went. There was no tears but I still couldn't move. I was heartbroken. As players came over to shake my hand I acknowledged them before turning away from them, I looked at our supporters and I saw a proud look on each and everyone of their faces. It made me realise this is a huge milestone, we should be so proud of ourselves. A small smile came to my face as they clapped us.

A group of my club teammates were in the middle of the pitch and I went over, they hadn't came over to me as they saw I needed space. I hugged mapi who was closest to me. *this is in Spanish* "Unlucky Bella" she said with a side smile, "you done so good" alexia said giving me a hug after mapi. The rest of them chirped in also. "Thanks guys, congrats on your win" I said happy for them. They play Netherlands in the semis. "Thanks Bella" they all said before I said my goodbyes. I wished them luck and that I'll see them soon.

*back to english*
"We should be so proud of ourselves" i said in the changing room with the girls around me. "We have came so far, from the group of death to the quarter finals of the World Cup. We have done so well, so what we fell short. We fell short to Spain who are probably one of the best teams here. We are incredible. Don't beat yourselves up because we have no right to" I said and everyone cheered. It lifted the mood and everyone went back to looking happy again, including me.

***

"And your Fifa Women's World Cup champions England!" Just as they announced it Leah lifted the trophy. A huge smile came on my face. I was so proud of her. I was with her family and they were all in tears, they've watched their daughter lift a euros and a World Cup in the space of 2 years. The celebrations went on for a while until they allowed a certain amount of people from each family onto the pitch, Leah insisted I would come into the pitch so it was just me, her mum, dad and brother. As soon as I got onto the pitch I wrapped her in a huge hug. "I'm so proud of you" I said kissing her neck. "Thank you baby, I love you so much" she said with tears in her eyes which made me tear up. "I love you more" I said as a tear fell from my eye. She caught it and wiped it away. Her family took turns at hugging her and the trophy was passed to her, we all took a group picture before I walked off to the side. "Bella come back" Leah said and I tuned around, "no you take it with your family" I said and she smiled. "You are family" she said as a smile grew even bigger on my face. I went back over and we took a picture together.

"You are my everything, forever...

—————