I Need U

"We need an adult."

"You are an adult!"

"Oh crap."

"WE NEED AN ADULTER ADULT!"

"YOU'RE THE OLDEST ONE HERE!"

"Oh. Right."

I almost screamed as the water in the pot popped again, landing dangerously close to my arm. "Can you be any slower?!" I chided.

"I'm trying to read the directions!" Ben responded, quickly flipping through the printed out pages. "Why is it all in Spanish??"

I rolled my eyes, flinching when the pot made another suspicious sound. "Because that's the point of our punishment? Making food without knowing the directions?"

"I hate this game."

     The water popped.

     "Ben," I deadpanned. "The noodles."

     She let out a distraught sound. "I haven't even gotten them out the box yet. Do I break them?"

     "Oh wow, I don't know! Maybe read the directions?!"

"I CAN'T READ SPANISH!"

     "Ye-seo, don't you know Spanish?" Sun-hee asked from behind the camera at the other side of the counter.

     "I only took classes in high school because it was required for me to graduate. I don't even think I am qualified enough to translate for Dora."

     "Oh sure, use your nice, non-hostile voice on the child."

     "You have a problem with me Ben Ten?"

     "Right now? Most defini—"

     "Guys!" Ae-cha interrupted. "Just switch jobs, it's not that hard!"

     I stared at Ben as we both went silent, my mouth already open for another comment. Ben had a knife in her hand.

     We shrugged. "Okay."

     Ae-cha made a choke-like sound as Ben and I switched places, Ben handing me the knife as she went. "What just happened?"

     "They just went from the start of World War 3 to....whatever this is....in the span of 6 seconds," Iseul commented.

     "Don't let the water burn you," I looked at the weapon in my hand. "Why did you even have a knife?"

     "I'm so confused," Xiuying said.

     "To stab you with of course."

     I hid my grin. "Then why'd you wait so long?"

     She 'tsked'. "Dang. You're right. Should've just stabbed you."

     "I am even more confused," Xiuying said.

     Sun-hee let out an airy laugh. "Someone commented 'mom and dad are fighting again' with a crying emoji."

     I let out a loud laugh, my hands shaking as I handed the silver girl behind me the packet of noodles. "K-Kids it's not—it's not what it looks l-like, I swear!" I could barely get the words out.

     I felt a hand on my shoulder and I automatically moved mine to pat it reassuringly. "That's right, your mom and I were—"

     I turned around. "Wait why am I the mom?"

Everyone spoke at once.

     "Because you're shorter."

     "You're old."