Grudges

Chapter Eighteen

The morning peered into the room as I stood guard upstairs. I watched as the sunrise shined in all it's glory. Mariel still hadn't spoken to me since I had last went against her wishes to try and attack the small army of soldiers in bunker two. I wouldn't try to persuade her either, she could remain angry with me for as long as she wanted. She had been right in telling me to back off and keep myself hidden.

"Well at least we finally agree on something." She suddenly said. I felt a small smile tug at my lips to finally hear her voice.

"I didn't think you'd want to forgive me so quickly." I replied.

"I can't stay mad at you...we are stuck together, forever." She pointed out. I chuckled as she too laughed at the truth in her words.

"I shouldn't have gone against your instincts. They've never led me astray. I will try to be wiser next time. " I promised.

The knock on my old room door had me falling silent as the door opened and Jeremiah stepped in. My eyes averted his presence and instead I looked to the window, watching as rays of light gently touched the morning dew on the front lawn.

"Is there anyway I could be of some assistance?" I said, as I kept my gaze forward.

"Yes, you can stop being so stiff around me." He bluntly said.

"With all due respect, Beta Ardent. I am merely addressing you with formality, as it is custom." I replied.

"Well stop it. I know you, Mindy. You're not really like this. Look, I know that being around Gunner is making you act all...stiff and mute, but you don't have to act like that."

"I was trained to show respect before the royal family. I understand that we once shared a friendship but all that needs to be put aside for the moment. Your life and the life of your family is in my hands. I do not have time to be acting familiar with you." I replied.

"Well at least address me as Jeremiah. Not Beta." He pointed out.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" I asked, ignoring his last words.

Jeremiah sighed in defeat and finally walked over to stand next to me. He was quiet for a moment, his eyes raking over the front lawn as well.

"Everything looks so calm, but we all know things aren't as bright and beautiful as they may appear." He muttered.

"Correct."

"I'm here to talk about, Gunner. I'm concerned for him, he's not thinking straight." Jeremiah said.

I felt my hands clench at his name. All I could feel was anger as he went ahead and spoke when I did not reply. Why was Gunner my concern on such private matters?

"You shouldn't question the Alpha's decisions. He knows what is best for our Nation. Trust him." I replied.

"Trust him to what, take his own life? Because that's what he's planning!" Jeremiah replied in frustration. I could feel his energy surge through. It did not affect me like it did with Gunner, merely it made me well aware that he had been carrying something difficult on his shoulders.

He sighed and then turned around, his arms crossed and a frown set on his lips.

It was then that Mariel pushed herself to the front of my mind. I felt a growl leave my lips as I held her off.

"What?" I sneered in return.

"He is handing me the title of Alpha. You and I know very well what will happen to him if he does. He won't survive without your strength." Jeremiah pressed.