Mate

~Chapter Seven~

I stared across the street towards the large weeping willow tree Jeremiah and Mindy sat under. The wind on this particular day was rather stiff and hot. The weather had begun to change drastically around me the moment I had seen Jeremiah walking out of our Alpha home with a large basket in his hands. I could not help but follow him to this spot where they now sat painfully close to one another. Deep down I needed to witness their engagement with my own eyes in order to accept that there was absolutely no chance. I gulped feeling my throat dry as Jeremiah handed Mindy a small cup cake for her to bite.

She had changed somewhat, her cheeks were fuller now more plump and a rosy pink color tainted them. I hadn't a clue if it was my bond making me see her in a different light but she had defiantly changed. Mindy Rivers was no longer the skinny little toothpick everyone knew her by. She was much stronger and healthier, even her smile seemed to have a new light. Her eyes gazed over at Jeremiah as she bit into the cup cake, my hands gripped the steering wheel as I waited for her to spit the ring out and get the surprise of her life. But it never came, instead Mindy kept on eating the chocolate cupcake until it was gone.

Licking the chocolate crumbs off her hands my eyes seemed to take extra notice on how her pink tongue pressed against her fingers. My gut clenched as I shook it off and forced my gaze to concentrate on the situation at hand.

Ducking lower into my seat I pushed my sunglasses back up my nose and waited. The park was packed on this particular day. Girls jogged by, women walked on the side walk with their children on strollers. Men played a game of football to a distance and even the elderly had stepped out to feed the ducks by the pond. It was almost like looking at a painting.

As I shifted my vision away for just that second, I witnessed a few women jogging close by. The world stood still the instant I witnessed Jeremiah turn over his shoulder in their direction.

I pushed up on my seat and watched as Mindy waved a hand over him. My eyes took in the terrible truth crashing down on them. One of the joggers stopped running, she dressed in skin tight  pink jogging wear and a messy bun. Pulling the head phones from her ears she stared at Jeremiah with a smile on her face.

He shot from his seat and Mindy did too. Turning his back to his mate Jeremiah took Mindy into his arms and hugged her tight. I felt dread clobber me as I read her lips. "Go to her". A tear slipped from my eye to see the pain in her face. Taking a step back, Mindy forced a smile on her face and then turned from Jeremiah. He stood still, his body unable to move as the girl walked closer to him.

My attention focused on Mindy as she reached the side walk and began to walk in my direction. Only she didn't spot me. She walked right past me into her car. I was having mixed emotions as I turned my attention back to Jeremiah. His mate embraced him and he in return held her but there was pain in his eyes.

I felt my heart hammering as a thousand jolts of electricity sizzled through my skin. Instead of feeling happy I felt my heart cracking even more. My fingers gripped the steering wheel as I saw Mindy drive off in her little black Mercedes. The urge to follow her nearly overwhelmed me but instead I forced my gaze to look over to where Jeremiah was.

His mate was still clinging to him her lips pressing gentle kisses on his cheek but his eyes were fixed on me as a dark glare covered his expression.

I felt myself swallow thickly before witnessing my brother take a step back and walk over to me. His mate followed his movements as he ripped open my door and pulled me out.

I felt the seat belt snap off my chest and my brothers talons sink into my shoulders.

"You did this didn't you! You couldn't just let her be!" He snarled.

I felt a snarl escape my lips as well as I pulled his talons from my shoulders and shoved him off. I felt my wolf waking and stirring strongly within me.

"Know your place!" I snapped.

"I knew it! I knew you still had feelings for her. Couldn't help yourself could you?" He shouted.

I adjusted my suit as best as I could before opening my car door and getting in. I drove off as Jeremiah shouted after me. I would not allow him to make a fool of himself nor I in front of the pack. I would give him time to cool off before trying to speak with him. He needed to know that I had nothing to do with him finding his mate.