Rebel

Chapter Nine

~Mindy~

Both parents stared at me. Their eyes nearly bulged out of their heads as I stood and began to pace the living room. It was unbelievable what they were asking. I felt anger rise as I stared over to them again. The former Alpha and Luna sat in together in our tiny little love couch holding one another's hands. Our Luna looked worn and tired, not even the perfect make up in her eyes and lips were enough to hide the fact that she had been crying. Our former Alpha sat straight up as it was custom, but there was a deep frown on his lips as he squeezed tighter around his wife's hand.

"You don't have to do anything you don't want to, Mindy." My grandfather said. I looked over to him and he too had a tired and worn complexion. My grandfather was doing his best to keep his composure but there was also anger in his eyes.

I directed my eyes back to the Ardent's and took a deep breath before lifting my chin and standing firm before them. "I know that what you do is for what is best for the entire Cobalt Nation. However, I will not step in as Luna all because your son is falling apart. He made his choice and now he must live with the consequences of his actions. Call me a traitor or a rouge, I don't care. I am not going to help you, find other means to put your son back together." I said. Anger boiled over me and I stormed out of the room.

I had never disrespected my former Alpha's in such a manner and part of me deeply regretted having talked to them in such a manner. However, I could not ignore what they had come here to ask. I pushed past the back porch and took a seat on the same old swing set. I was surprised to feel it tight around my own butt. I stared down to my shoes, wanting to somehow disappear.

"They are right you know?"

I didn't need to lift my head to know that Jeremiah was standing behind me. My fingers gripped the chain and I stayed silent.

"Mindy, with you as Luna, Gunner will be able to be all he can be. Haven could never offer him what you have." He said.

"And that is?" I asked. Clearly, I was not able to offer him children so that was out of the question.

"When a Luna is chosen, it doesn't matter that she is too skinny, fat, or normal. That has nothing to do with being chosen. The link we share makes compatibilities according to one's inner strength and will. You have what no other female has to challenge and push Gunner to his full potential. Maybe you didn't have the strength to bear his children but you have the strength to help him lead. In the end that is all that matters." He explained.

"Tell me, did our Alpha know all of this?" I asked.

"Yes, he did." He hesitated to reply.

"Then there is your answer, Jeremiah. He knew and did not care. Therefore, my answer still remains the same. He never wanted me as part of the family and even this idea will seem absurd to him." I said.

I pushed from the swing and stood. I turned to face him and he in return lowered his head. "Mindy, is for the good of the Nation." He said.

"The good of the Nation, hu. A nation that is of recent news dealing with riots and protesters all over? A nation that is clearly not standing united at the moment?" I replied.

He sighed heavily and licked his lips before glancing up at me. "We need our Alpha to be strong, mentally. With this loss my brother will not have the mentality to address any of those problems. They will worsen as he does too-"

"No! I'm so sick of being tugged at like a rag doll. I'm not his only hope. I'm nothing to him. And I refuse to be bullied or pressured into a portion I do not want to take! Let him stew in his own mess. If he thought me too feeble minded to help him before I'm not any better to him know." I raged.