Diverson

Chapter Seventeen

"We've made contact with the Cardinal Nation, they will provide us with shelter until we can find out what is really happening. Should anything happen to me, Jeremiah, I leave you solely in charge of the Cobalt Nation." I said.

My brother stared at me with a determined look on his face and he nodded, accepting my words. "I will do everything in my power to protect our family and lead our Nation. Count on me." He replied.

After fleeing the bunker three days ago, we hadn't risked leaving Tim's home. Out of all the places that we had build to protect the royal family, I had never expected to find myself sitting in the basement of Mindy's childhood home.

"When will they arrive?" My mother asked.

She curled in next to my father with a thick tacky green blanket. It was the first time I had ever seen her dress in such casual clothes. I knew it was the least of her worries as she rested her head over my father's shoulders. He wrapped a secure arm around her and held her close.

"They should be here by sunrise. We hope that the Pallid Nation does not catch scent of us." I replied.

She nodded and closed her eyes, letting out a tired sigh. "We should all try to get some rest." My father lastly said.

Mindy had allowed us to drag her grandfather's bedroom and her own into the basement where we all huddled and slept. I was far from getting any shut eye knowing she was out there on her own. She had decided to pay her grandfather a visit at the lycan center a day ago and she had not returned. Talen was growing impatient the longer she took to return.

I hadn't seen her sleep since we had arrived. The first night she had allowed the guards to rest. They had stood guard all day today, Mindy had promised she'd be back tonight after sun down.

The four guards took refuge on the living room. I could hear their light snores as I pushed away from the edge of the bed and quietly went up the stairs.

When I reached the door I slipped out and walked over to the front window and stared out to the dew covered grass. My chest tightened as I rubbed my neck and let out a small breath.

"You miss her, don't you?"

Jeremiah neared my side and I nodded. "Yep."

"You know, it's not too late to try and win her good graces back. If I know Mindy, she is still the same understanding and loving, shy girl I met back in high school." He encouraged.

"I'm handing you the title of Alpha after all of this is done." I replied instead.

"You mentioned that before. Have you any idea what that will do to you?" He asked,

"I am aware." I replied, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Gunner, it's suicide." He said.

"No. It's not little brother. I think it's a well deserved sentence." I replied.

"Gunner."

"Don't fight me on this, Jeremiah. I've made up my mind."

"Mom and Dad are not going to like it one bit."

"I'm well aware of all that comes with giving up my title."

"You'll fall into a state of coma. Without her you won't survive on your own for long. Passing your title to me will leave you near death, it will drain most of your strength." He pressed.

Jeremiah grew irritated as I stared out the window, ignoring his plea. After a few minutes he finally bid me good night and disappeared into the basement.

I felt my eyes droop as the illuminated front lawn began to blur. It was then that a shadow emerged from afar and I felt the tiredness leave me. Her head was lowered, the pixie cut she wore seemed to glow under the porch light as she opened the door and stepped inside.

"How's your grandfather?" I asked, just as she closed the door.

"My grandfather is recovering nicely. He's doing very well, Alpha." She said, as she bowed her head.

I nodded in return, wishing I could ask her to disregard the way she addressed me, but I knew she was not looking to make a friend out of me. It was best to stick to distant formalities.

"It's good to know Tim is doing well." I replied.

"Sir. I've learned a few things about the Pallid Nation while I was away. I wish to discuss them with you." She said.

I nodded and led Mindy into the kitchen where I turned on a match and placed a tea kettle over the fire.

She stood at the entrance of the door, her hands resting in front of her. I went about waiting for the water to warm as she stood guard. I wouldn't try to change her much less ask her to join me in a tea. This was purely a professional discussion.

"Take caution, tea contains sugar." She said suddenly.

I offered a thin lip smile and opened a small packet inside one of the cabinets. "I read the label, it's unsweetened tea." I replied.

There was a slight curl of her nose before she simply nodded. "It looks like my grandfather was trying to watch his diabetes." She muttered.

"Lucky me." I replied as I turned to pull the tea kettle away from the fire.

A long silence filled the kitchen before I walked over to a chair and took my seat. I sighed as I looked around the dark dining area and finally landed eyes on her. She stared at the floor, her hands gripping together as if her patience was running thin.

"What have you learned?" I asked.

"Things are at a standstill, the force is doing everything in it's power to keep you and the rest of the Nation protected. No other deaths have been reported since we have gone AWOL, but the nation is beginning to grow panicked without a leader."

"I wish there was a way I could send a message to my people." I replied.

"I went on a spying mission of my own. The Pallid Nation has produced a formula that when injected into the bloodstream it blocks their scent, only the sweat that their human form produces is what we can smell."

"Is this how we mistook them for the humans?" I asked.

"Yes. They used it as a diversion. I guess they didn't count on the Alpha being able to catch their scent." She said.

"Is that all. Soldier." I said. I felt the words leave my lips a bit tight. However, it was best to remain this way.

"Yes, Sir."

"Thank you, for this new information. You may take your leave." I replied.

With a nod and a bow she turned on one heel and disappeared into the second floor. I felt my tensed body slowly relax as I heard the upstairs door slowly shut, but the sound, although faint, felt like it was shutting on my very soul.