Rejection

~Chapter Three~

Lycan's assembled from all around the Nation, the impressive platform was dressed in fine royal blue, white pure roses twirling and dancing around the grand arch above the stage where the future Alpha would stand to await the moon to shine above his Luna. I stood at the far end, waiting with anticipation as hundreds of young girls gathered anxiously as well. However, my eagerness was focused towards the Alpha's younger brother. My eyes scanned every corner of the crowded group, hoping Jeremiah might appear from anywhere. I felt my heart accelerate as I dared to stare up at the moon brilliantly shinning above us. It was nearing midnight and neither Gunner nor Jeremiah had appeared.

"Mindy, there you are," grandpa called from a distance. He used his cane to open a bit of walking space for him, every girl quickly scooting out of his way as he waved a hand in the air to call for my attention. I smiled brightly as he neared me, wrapping a protective arm around my shoulders.

"It's quite a crowd, I still get amazed to see just how much young women show up to these rituals." He said, a little out of breath.

"You look exceptionally handsome grandpa," I said, ignoring his last remark. He dressed in a cream colored suit, his gray and white hair combed to an old fashioned style. Adjusting his bow tie I offered him a bright grin before turning my attention over to the Alpha taking the stage.

"Hello everyone and welcome to this nights ritual. It has long been my anticipation to see my eldest son take the stage to find his true Luna. With fifteen minutes to spare I would like to simply say a few words before we grow in silence and let the moon shine above she who will be our future Luna and Queen." The ladies clapped a light patter, all bright smiles on their faces as they kept their eyes locked securely on the Alpha. My eyes however had a mind of their own as I surveyed the area once again, hoping Jeremiah might approach me any second.

"Any word from Jeremiah?" I whispered over to grandpa, whom seemed to be captured by the Alpha's speech. He turned to me but his eyes refused to leave the stage as he clapped along with the crowd.

"What was that dear, Jeremiah you say?" he replied.

"Have you seen him?" I asked, my fingers intertwining with one another.

"No dear I think he was with Gunner still," he muttered.

How foolish was I to forget that Gunner more than likely wanted his younger brother by his side before he took his position in front of the altar. The Alpha's laughter grew contagious as all the ladies from ages seventeen to twenty giggled along with him.

"Now without further ado I give you ladies my son, your future Alpha and King of The Cobalt Pack." he said.

He took a leaving bow and disappeared into the backstage. My eyes lifted to the heavens, my breath catching the moment I witnessed the misty clouds slowly pull apart to reveal more of the giant blue moon. My very soul seemed to come to life as I felt it calling me, almost as if it was lifting me off the ground elevating me above all else. The stars shined brighter than ever, the wind blowing gently as I closed my eyes to enjoy the soothing feel of the moon calling to me.

There was a sudden need to howl to sing as loud as I could. Tears slipped from my eyes as I stood still hearing suddenly voices singing in the far distance. A choir elevated their voices in union making more tears flow. The sound was beautiful as I smiled feeling somehow the occasion was just made for me. Then there came the same masculine scent, it encased all my senses making me so light headed.

A sigh escaped my lips to inhale such wonderful scent, I felt my mouth water, and my veins tingle with anticipation. Then the sudden wonderful trance I had fallen into was broken. A cheerful eruption brought me from the cloud nine I had wondered off to. My eyes opened only to witness Gunner already watching in anticipation his Luna walk up to the altar. For some odd reason my stomach coiled in jealousy. I felt my hands fist, my breath come in short as she reached an elegant white gloved hand to his extended one.