Months After

~Chapter Six~

Moving behind the trees towards their back porch I watched as Jeremiah and Mindy shared a drink. He seemed relaxed and comfortable as he leaned back to place his elbows on the step behind him while Mindy stared out to the sky. Their lips moved having a decent conversation about graduation and college. I observed her genuine smile, the way her eyes lit up and the way her shoulders came together in a shy manner. Her cheeks tainted pink as she playful kicked Jeremiah on his shin.

"College is going to be much harder, although we will get to have some fun," he said.

At his words she seemed to straightened out and fiddle with her fingers. A nervous chuckle escaped her lips and Jeremiah immediately sensed her hesitation. "What's the problem?" he asked sitting up.

"There something I've been meaning to talk to you about, I just can't find the right words to tell you. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I would love to go to college with you down south of Cobalt but...I've been offered a place in the Training Academy," she all but whispered. Jeremiah sat up straighter and stared at Mindy a bit taken aback.

"Please don't tell me this was Gunner's idea because if it was I swear I'm going to rip him a new one," he growled.

I smirked shaking my head, yeah he could talk tough but he and I both knew I always came out the victor.

"No! Of course not I haven't seen Alpha Ardent since he came to my house to talk with me." She replied.

"You do not have to lie to me Mindy, I know Gunner is behind this. What in the world is wrong with him offering you a spot in the Academy, has he any idea that you could easily fracture much worse break something," he protested.

"Is this the way you will always see me Jeremiah? Breakable?" she asked, a frown covered her expression as she stared at him.

"Mindy I love you and yes I will always look at you as fragile. Why, because you are my mate. No matter what happens I will always see you breakable even if you were the strongest Lycan in the pack. I feel the need to protect you at all times and I like feeling this way." He replied.

A growl nearly left my mouth the moment he leant in to kiss her yet I could not draw my eyes away. I watched in agony as Mindy replied, wrapping her arms around Jeremiah she snuggled close to him. His fingers tangled in her long blonde hair and it was her sigh of desire that made me retreated in haste before I did something I would regret. I felt my heart shattering as the image more like imprinted itself in my head.

Reaching my car I slammed against it denting it terribly as I collapsed on the ground. My hands shook uncontrollably as I sat there trying hard to fight the ache in my chest yet I could not find release. Something inside me was building as I closed my eyes and shook my head trying to remain calm. The anger chocked me and I released it in a loud howl I was certain could be heard for miles. Surprised yet unable to contain it a sob escaped my mouth as I covered my head.

Just what the hell had I done? Even though I had finally come to my senses after a good three long months there was no doubt in my heart I could not tear them apart. I had to accept my mistakes like a man whether I liked it or not. I did not have the heart to break Jeremiah's nor Mindy's. Plan B would still stay in effect.

~Nine Months Later~

"How do you feel about this coming event? Are you nervous?" Haven asked while taking a seat across from me. I stared down to my drink and pondered her words for a moment.

"Yes and No, I'm happy and more than ready to lead, yet I feel I might not give them what they want," I replied taking a gulp of the strong whiskey.

"You've been working hard these past few months, I am certain you are going to be wonderful. What more could you ask for? You have your first born on the way and the title of Alpha all at once," she replied. I nodded but did not reply. She was missing in the picture. I had gotten everything I desired and yet I still felt it was not what I had wanted in the end. I felt selfish and sick every day. I craved for Mindy yet I did nothing to peruse her because it was the best thing to do.