Guard

Chapter Thirteen

~Gunner~

The Alpha home, or as others called it, The Cobalt Mansion, consisted of thirty seven rooms and fifteen bathrooms. There was five hundred acres of land surrounding it, each with it's own purpose. I often asked myself why the need for so much of it if there was only a hand full of people living here. We over hired the staff and often repaired things about the house.

I looked through the large sum of bills over my desk. Why did we need to higher a florist again? I shook my head and flipped to the next page. Seven hundred dollars for pavement repairmens on a small pot hole outside. As I went through the rest of the bills I realized that this mansion was costing so much more than it should. We were going to have to do some cut backs on the maids and even the numerous gardeners in the house.

The door to my study opened and I greeted my mother as she glided in along side my father. I stood to greet them both. They had been away to the far down South of Cobalt to get away from the routine life they had built here.

"How was your trip?" I asked.

"Wow, I thought you'd never ask." My mother said a bit taken a back. I smiled and even that made her wonder what was up with me. After my family had passed away I had walked about the Mansion like a lost soul. Not even the cutest child could bring a smile to my face. Not until yesterday. There was something to look forward too in these days to come. The excitement coursing through my veins was nearly impossible to contain.

My wolf and I longed to see her, to feel that connection that made me feel alive, the most I had in such a long stretch. For now I'd have to put my giddy little heart aside and deal with the humans and their threats. I had many things to handle but my main priority would be to keep the family away from harms way.

"We got your message son, we are here. What's seems to be the problem?" My father asked.

He had aged well, tall and handsome although white hair began to fade his silver blonde color. His eyes were a magnetic blue that still possessed the power to make you lower your own gaze to the grownd when his temper was tested. My mother was still as beautiful as ever, with long blonde hair and crystal blue eyes. My father had taken good care of her throughout the years. I only wished that I could do the same with mine, but that would have to wait.

"Please, take a seat." I said, gesturing to the small comfortable seats near the windows. I settled on mine and my mother and father huddled together on the other.

"The humans have sent in spies. So far we have gathered that they have found a good source of oil in our lands, in fact in all five Nations. They have put a price on each Alpha's head. Now, we are not certain if these allegations are true, we are looking into it thoroughly. For the time being I do not want the both of you traveling to the south, west, or east. We stay here in the North." I explained.

"Why not try to negotiate? Why would they put a price on your head without trying to do things peacefully. I am certain we'd have no problem selling them oil." My father said.

"Negotiating with us means having to hand over money to our Nation. They do not want to take the risk in our people growing richer and more powerful. They are humans, father, and they do what they do best, rage war for what they want so that they stay on top." I replied.

He nodded and sighed in defeat, he was clearly disappointed with this news. My mother did not speak, simply stayed seated in her chair looking down to her hands.

"I request that you not leave this house without guards to surround you." My father suggested.

"Jeremiah and I have already discussed the matter. We have new recruits, the tournament was held yesterday and we have managed to stay on top of things. I will be looking into seeing that two of them are appointed my personal guard." I said