No Idle Threats

Chapter Fourteen

~Mindy~

I stood outside his study door, another soldier and I, who I wasn't allowed to speak to. We stood as statues outside his door. I had to admit that I was relieved when I found out that my duties were to stay rooted to this door until our Alpha decided to leave its premises. When I had first been assigned I was overwhelmed to protest, but I did not want to come off as bitchy. So I stood my ground and followed orders.

I had never been on the inside of the grand home, when the Beta and I had dated he had often tried to bring me here. I knew in the far back of my mind that it was never a good idea, so I ignored his pursue. It had been torture for me alone to be around Gunner, the link between he and I had been very strong once. As time went on I felt it fade, felt my inmost desire to be close to him vanish. I wasn't denying that the feeling was still there. Being close to him a week ago in the bunker had proved it and I disliked it. The weakness that overcame me reminded me of my puny, shy, timid self.

When the Colonel had assigned me to be a guard for the Alpha I feared that the small fading link would grow stronger. I wasn't at all worried now, standing outside this door was just what I needed to concentrate on my duty. I doubted they'd allow us inside the study anytime soon and that put me at ease.

I wanted nothing to do with Alpha Ardent on a intimate level. I had made a choice and I was sticking by that choice. It wasn't my pride nor was it the need to torture us both, but my heart wasn't in it to try and win his favor. I was here to serve my Nation, and by the looks of it I'd say I had arrived at the right time.

I didn't dare move my eyes from the light brown wallpaper in front of me. I made certain my senses stayed alert and that my wolf was ready. I often stayed in touch with Mariel out of precaution. The action had brought us closer together over the years. She was very much present, in every thought, and in every emotion. Together we had grown much more wiser, as my grandfather had said.

I heard her wine before she spoke. Mariel was saddened because I was. I hadn't laid eyes on my grandfather since I had gone into the academy. I knew nothing of his health or even if he was alive.

"Don't even think about it!" She said.

I wanted to smile but I also had to remain concentrated. If it hadn't been for my grandfather's good advice I would have never found myself considering Mariel my best friend. After the Alpha had rejected me I had thought my world coming to an end. I had never been in love with the Alpha, but it sure as hell had felt like it. His words had hurt far worse than I had thought.

However, I had to give our Alpha credit, he had come to my door step to make amends for his wrong doing. On that day I had felt part of my sadness vanish. I was able to eat properly and keep a smile on my face knowing that he had wanted to remain friends. If it hadn't been for his offer to allow me to enter the academy I wouldn't be where I am today.

"What do you think we would have been doing?" Mariel asked.

"I'm not sure, I didn't have a picture of what I wanted my future to look like much less a career. Although Gunner and I did not become one, it was difficult to picture a future with Jeremiah as well. I took it day by day." I replied.

"You said, Gunner." She teased.

"The Alpha." I corrected.

"Someone seems to be growing on you." She said

"I don't understand how you have a sense of humor, if you feel what I do then you'd be laughing at the mere idea of something like that." I argued.

"We are connected, Mindy. I feel every emotion you don't want to feel, the one's you push away and the ones that you allow to consume your mind. Unlike you, I don't push every emotion away. I rather like this side of you." Mariel said.