White Lie

Chapter Twenty-Five

"I'm ready." I said as I slipped past the gate and into the dew covered grass.

"How are you certain this plan is going to work?" Mariel asked.

"Trust me, it's gonna work. This is the only way he'll be able to cross over without feeling he needs to stay behind. It's been two days, Mariel. I can't avoid him forever and I really do need to sleep." I reminded her.

I rubbed my eyes and yawned as I hurried over to the large mausoleum. Jeremiah had handed over the key easily when I had explained to him my plan. He wanted me to have peace as much as he wanted Gunner to have peace as well. He had stopped visiting his resting place after I had mentioned that Gunner thought he still had unfinished business with him.

"I don't want him to think I am holding him back, I want my brother to rest." He had said.

When the gate came into view I stopped in front of it and took a deep breath. I put the key in and opened the creaky metal gate in a rush. Without hesitation I made it over to his resting place and lit the small oil lamp I had brought.

I felt the drowsiness slowly overpowering me as I walked over to his plaque. "I can't do this." I said as I felt my emotions overpower me.

"Keep it together, Mindy. It's the only way." Mariel encouraged.

"I know, but I can't, Mariel. I can't let him go." I whimpered.

My fist pounded over his plaque and a small crack slowly split between his name. I felt myself slowly lose strength on my legs. Hugging my knees I rested my head back and closed my eyes.

"How do humans deal with broken hearts? How do they simply let go of something that was fated?" I asked.

"They do not have mates. They have partners, the human heart is easy to adapt to change. Some grieve over their loss and others move on without a second thought, because unlike them, they are not made for one person like we are. Our very souls are woven together, it is how we imprint and recognize our mate. Humans slowly build up to falling in love, they are bonded together until death. We are united even then. It is why Gunner still remains in the great beyond," Mariel explained.

"Until I find someone or join him." I hiccuped.

"Yes."

Wiping my eyes I groaned and sat there looking around the large room. I detested this idea more than anything, but it was time to finally let go.

"Here goes nothing." I muttered.

I was suddenly in a large crowd. My eyes looked about to find all the happy couples dancing all around me. I dressed in my same old clothes. I felt out of place as they waltzed and smiled as if they took no notice I was there. I felt my heart speed up the instant I felt his hand on my shoulder.

Taking a deep breath I turned to face him only to find him dressed in a beautiful blue suit. A blood red rose rested in his pocket as he took my hand and smiled.

"I thought I'd never see you again." He said. The words cut me deeply as I smiled and fought to contain my tears.

"I feel a little under dressed." I said.

"Let's take a walk, tell me about your days." He chuckled.

I nodded and Gunner led me towards a pair of french glass doors. When we stepped outside I sighed to feel the sunlight on my skin. I would forever miss the feel of it.

"I have big news." I said a bit nervous.

"I am all ears." He replied, letting his hand reach for mine.