Second Chances

Chapter Twenty-Six

I stilled as I looked at the cracked plaque. I could feel the world around me stop revolving as I silently let out a shaky breath. My body was trembling as I took a step back and finally blinked. Tears wet my cheeks as I began to feel my heart accelerate. I was shaking, my mind was trying to comprehend what was really happening.

"Is he...alive?" Mariel asked.

"But how?" I asked in a silent whisper.

I was more than certain the family had had his body prepared. The doctor would have confirmed his death by checking a pulse. So many questions began to flood my mind as I tried to gain an explanation to what I had just heard.

Part me of me wanted to believe and the other was telling me that there was no possible way he could be alive in that coffin. I wiped my tears and closed my eyes for a moment. Maybe Mariel was right, I was losing my mind.

"Try again." She said.

"Oh now you believe me?" I asked.

"Stop wasting time and check again!" She hissed.

She began to shift inside of me, growing impatient as I shook my head and fisted my hands. Closing my eyes once again I placed a palm flat against his name and concentrated. When nothing was heard I finally let out a breath and removed my hand. Before I could voice my disappointment I heard the faint thump once again. I felt my stomach knot and my throat shut.

"He's alive, he's alive!" I shouted.

My phone began to vibrate in my pocket and I quickly checked to read a text Jeremiah had sent me, telling me he was right outside the gates of the cemetery.

My wolf howled in glee as I took several steps back and before long I was running out of the mausoleum. When I spotted Jeremiah walking in haste towards me I knew then I needed answers.

"What happened?" He asked, there was great alarm in his eyes as he looked behind me.

I was blabbering and not making any sense as I paced back and forth trying to explain to him everything that had happened. Puzzled and confused Jeremiah took hold of my shoulders and shook me.

"You're not making any sense!" He snapped.

"I heard his heart beat! He's alive in there!" I shouted.

"Are you insane, Mindy? I saw him take his last breath, I witnessed him laying in his coffin before the lid was shut." He replied.

"No, you're wrong, I heard his heart beat, I heard it! Please, just check." I begged as he shook his head in disbelief.

"I wish I could believe you, but my brother is gone. I know it's hard for you to accept it but please, gather yourself and go home. Rest, you obviously need it." He pleaded.

I pushed away from him, refusing to believe that what I had heard was a mere illusion. My very soul was crying out to make Jeremiah believe me as I turned away from him. Spotting a small gravekeeper's shed I rushed towards it in desperation. Jeremiah called after me as I turned the knob only to surprise the old man inside having his lunch. He jumped from his chair as I reached over for a shovel and turned to flee.

"Hey miss, you can't take that!" He shouted after me.

"Mindy! I will not let you vandalize my brother's resting place!" Jeremiah shouted.

I picked up speed, reaching the gates to the mausoleum in time to avoid Jeremiah reaching for my arm. I shut him out and turned to look at him as he slammed his fist over the metal gate.